Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE browser will not open the page

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sawbuck 1999

sawbuck 1999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

I have a LAN connection through ATT. and have not been able to connect to the internet with 2 desk top machines that I have , I do not have any problem connecting with a lop top. The only difference is that the desk tops were once on dial-up. Could something be disabled and preventing the page opening? I was on the phone with an att tech for over an hour last night to no avail. We went through a series of command prompts associated with the ip address.
A connection is shown in the systray at the bottom of the screen but the page will not open. The error is: Internet Explorer could not open this page. Any help would be appreaciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

Some persons use the terms "LAN" and "NIC" interchangeably when referrring to a device which allows for connection to the Internet and (also) functioning as part of a network.

Sooo...first question is...do you have a home network setup?

Are you using a router to connect your computers to this Internet cable connection provided by ATT?

Are the connection settings on each of the systems...the same? To see the connection settings, right-click on the connection, select Properties.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...onnections.mspx

Louis

Dialup setups (at any time) have nothing to do with how cable/DSL/broadband setups function.

Are you saying that you cannot open any webpage?

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2009 - 10:01 AM.

#3 The Computer Chic

The Computer Chic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

Maybe a virus? I've had similar problems with my children's computers. I'm a fan of Malwarebytes to check for them.

#4 sawbuck 1999

sawbuck 1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

LAN local area network , it is DSL and it shows a connection as stated, but the page will not open.
There is not a network it's a direct connection. Only 1 machine is connected, I just tried on two different ones to connect. Apologize for the confusion. There is no router, direct connect through Ethernet cable. The only one that will connect is the laptop, I have to disconnect each machine when I try and then reconnect. Again not a network, direct connect.
When connected the laptop is the only one that will open a page, no luck when trying the others.

Edited by sawbuck 1999, 11 December 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

Since we know that the hardware is working up, it has to be setting/protocol/hardware problem with the one system.

I would compare the protocols installed and the connection settings used...on each system.

I would also consider that IE may need to be repaired...it's all trial and error, IMO.

I would also take a look in Event Viewer for possiblel clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users