Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS AntiSpyware Updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

The latest Microsoft AntiSpyware definitions update 5745 dated 8/12/05 is now available.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

OK, and the world thanks you. I got my microsoft anti-spy set to update automatically, and I get an automatic notice when the whole program has an update handy.

:thumbsup: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

So do I, but a lot of people have mentioned the autoupdate feature does not always work in this beta package. Simply a heads up for them.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:47 AM

Hi buttoni, Hey that's a real good idea there.
Thanks for the reminder.

:thumbsup: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:28 AM

Here's what my copy is showing;

Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.615
This version expires on: 12/31/2005
Spyware Definition Version: 5747 (8/28/2005 7:50:40 PM)

I keep mine set on Auto update. It even tells me when a new program version is ready ( it has di this 3 times).

I'm a Microsoft beta tester and they once told me if the update did not work to use the
diagnostic button located on the menu bar, under help, and then click "about." You can also go to "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS" section and click to "change" and then re-install. This will fix any issues with the beta. All of this works for the XP, not sure how it is with other operating systems.

:thumbsup:

#6 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the tip, Micaman. Hadn't noticed the Diagnostics button before.

FYI the definitions are up to 5751 now, so yours has missed two, it looks like. You'll want to do a manual update via File, Check for Updates asap.

As I commented in my above posts, I really don't think the autoupdater is working consistently for people in this beta. Why performance is sporadic, I just write off to it's being in beta testing. I have found it wise to occasionally run a manual update. When I do, I sometimes find there was an update the autoupdater didn't DO! So if folks rely solely on the autoupdater, they are going to find themselves two updates behind, like you apparently are.

Edited by buttoni, 02 September 2005 - 09:34 AM.

#7 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

Last night I held the cursor on the Spyware Definitions tab, listed in the system summary, and it said the definitions were up-to-date. Then I clicked on it and the updater opened up and searched for definitions and program updates. After a few minutes it had me updated to the 5751 dat file! You are so right. This is the kind of information viewers need to know about. I normally get concerned if any of my malware hunting programs do not have 'dat files' dated within the past 3-5 days. I am working on a report to Microsoft, and this will be included.

I hope you are using all of the features included with this program. The Real Time Protection and the Advanced Tools are great for protecting system integrity and your privacy.

:thumbsup:

#8 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Yep, I use all Realtime features and look at advanced tools for info and action as well. I basically like the package!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users