Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried moving "My Documents" folder to another drive - failed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OscarG

OscarG

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

Just tried to move my son's (Matthew) "My Documents" folder to a new internal hard drive as have run out of space on main drive. This hasn't worked properly and I'm not sure what to do next - I don't want to make things worse. Would be grateful for advice please.

I first backed up his "My Docs" folder to an external drive, then followed Microsoft's instructions (How to change the default location of the My Documents folder) which were as follows:-
  • Click Start
  • Right click My Documents, then click Properties
  • Click Target tab
  • In the Target box I typed M:\Matthew\MyDocuments M being the new drive
  • I clicked Yes to create folder, then clicked OK and the files started transferring
After a short while, an error message appeared saying, something couldn't be moved because a program was in use (which it wasn't as far as I could tell). I clicked ok, then (I think) nothing else happened. In view of the time it took, I assumed that there had only been a partial move.

I looked in the new location to see what had been moved and what the size was, as I knew his "My Docs" folder was approx 105Gb. The folder was only 8Gb with a few random folders/files in.

I then explored the folder structure and looked at the size of "My Docs" from different perspectives (I can't think of the right word!) and this is what I found (I assumed that the size would be consistent).

On the C (main) drive. On Start Menu - My Docs =7.88Gb
Start - My Comp - My Docs = 7.88Gb
Start - My Comp - Documents and Settings - Matthew =97Gb (was before this move 105Gb) which I assume is 105Gb minus the 7.88Gb that has been moved.

On the M (new) drive, which was the target location for the move, My Docs =7.88Gb

First of all I was surprised to find only 7.88Gb on the new drive and in the location from where I moved My Docs. I obviously expected it to be 105Gb if the move was successful. Would the My Docs folder (the source of the move) have had 105 Gb in and somehow most of it has been deleted?

Should the My Docs folder, from wherever it can be found within the folder structure of the system, be exactly the same size, ie 105Gb? Or will it vary, as seems to be the case.

I'm not sure what to do now and I don't want to make things any worse. I would be really grateful for some help if you can make sense of anything I've said (I know I've rambled a bit!). I have got a very angry son on my hands!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

There was possibly some program accessing some file in the My Documents folder. You can restart your computer in safe mode and try moving again.
To start in safe mode keep pressing F8 after turning on computer till you get boot menu, then select Safe Mode and press Enter

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:57 AM

Not sure why you did not get it all to move, I do mas moves a bit different ways and seem to get away with it! I have had luck dragging files to other drives, I have two drives with five partitions and move stuff all the time. I usually move the contents and not the folder, once I am sure I have everything then if needed I delete the old folder. I right click the top file and hold the shift key down so I can pull the slider to get down to the bottom, I then click on the last file so all become linked then drag them to the new drive and location. Something else that does Ok is using the send to feature, that only works drive to drive not to specific folders, right click the file then click sent to for its menu. I have done many a big batch like that then organized once on the new section.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users