Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover password-protected Documents and Settings files from an archive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mike18xx

mike18xx

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:22 AM

Situation: Windows XP Home system had Windows folder irreparably damaged by malware (could no longer boot to desktop under any circumstances).

1. I attached the drive to another system and created an Acronis TrueImage archive of the entire drive.
2. I then returned the drive to the original machine new-installed XP Pro.

Problem: I cannot recover any of the documents from the Desktop folder (among others) of the old Documents and Settings folder on the image archive EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THE PASSWORD.

-- How do I do this? (Note: Since this is an read-only image, I cannot modify permissions, etc; and since the D&S folder's contents are password-protected, I can't simply copy them out of the archive onto the drive.)

Has anybody just made a utility which will recover everything after you enter the password?

Edited by mike18xx, 11 December 2009 - 03:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

It has nothing to do with passwords (unless you somehow encrypted your folders), it's a normal situation when a hard drive is moved to a different system or the original hard drive on a system is replaced.

Windows provides free access to all files which are not in the Docs & Settings folders on a system partition, while access to these folders takes a tad more effort.

Try Taking Ownership - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.

Louis

#3 mike18xx

mike18xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Please read my post -- The files are in the D&S folder of a drive saved in a read-only archive (which means I cannot change the ownership permissions).

#4 mike18xx

mike18xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:27 AM

Anybody? Beuller?

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

create a temp folder for the files you want to restore. Use acronis to restore those files to the temp folder then you can take ownership and move the files.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users