Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Text cursor jumping around since installing 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dpitch40

dpitch40

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

Since installing Windows 7 last Saturday, I've been noticing a strange problem: the text cursor jumps around erratically as I'm typing. Usually it jumps 20 or 30 characters back from where I'm typing, inserting my typing into what I've already done and forcing me to go back and correct. I can't tell what, if anything, is causing this; it's very annoying and has happened several times while typing this post. It also appears to happen in Notepad. Is there some hotkey I could accidentally be pressing to cause this, or something else? (I hope it's not a driver issue)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

One other observation; I'm not sure if it happens exclusively like this, but it often seems to happen after I type the letter t.

#3 Borealys

Borealys

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

I work for Staples in Alberta, Canada... and I've had probably half a dozen customers so far in recent history complain about this as well. I'd like to figure out why its doing that so I can help them out. I hate looking stupid lol Apparently its happened in Windows ME, XP, etc... so hopefully theres a fix.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

Could be anything from a keyboard hardware issue, mouse hardware issue, laser mouse dirty, corrupted hardware driver, etc. Try swapping out the keyboard and see if that fixes the problem. Try a different mouse. Remove those two pieces of hardware from the potential problem list. My wireless laser mouse just puked out so that whenever I was in a scrollable window, it would randomly scroll up and down.

#5 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

I have a laptop, so I can't really swap the keyboard. I could try unplugging my mouse when I type. (Unless it's the touch pad) I hope it's not a driver issue...

EDIT: Wait a minute...it might be that I'm bumping the touch pad with my hand as I type and making strange things happen that way. I guess the default setting is that tapping it counts as a click. I'll reinstall the software for my touch pad so I can change those settings and see if it helps.

Edited by dpitch40, 14 December 2009 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users