Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if this is the right place

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RachelWiz

RachelWiz

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

My mom borrowed my Sprint Air Card (mobile internet) and installed the driver on her Acer Aspire laptop, running Windows Vista Home Premium. After the reboot after the driver installed, she was unable to log in and do a complete boot up. She's stuck at the log in screen because her touch pad and keyboard are not responding. We tried several things to resolve it and I even called Sprint and they said it was a computer/hardware issue, but I'm not convinced of that.

Incidentally, my daughter had an Acer netbook and she had a similar issue when she installed the driver for the Sprint card. She was able to resolve it by doing a system restore and it was only her touch pad that was not working, not both. I walked my mom through trying to do a system restore, but she hadn't backed up, so her only option was a restore to factory settings. I mean, we will do that if it's the last resort, but she doesn't want to lose all of her data. She's a college professor, so she has lots of stuff that needs to be retrieved.

Anyway, we've tried to remove the battery, and reboot with just the power cord, we've tried a hard reboot, starting in safe mode, and lots of other things, but she can't get past the log in screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

hmmm sounds like a conflicting driver. try booting it up in safe mode (usually f8) and uninstalling the card and see if that fixes it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:12 AM

might be a virus to on second thought. I had this problem on another computer, not with the wireless card but I had a computer that a virus erased the driver for the keyboard/mouse, so I couldnt get past login, so I had to boot up off a linux live disc, back up all the files, then reformat the hard drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

hmmm sounds like a conflicting driver. try booting it up in safe mode (usually f8) and uninstalling the card and see if that fixes it.

Safe mode won't work, because she's still stuck at the log in screen.

might be a virus to on second thought. I had this problem on another computer, not with the wireless card but I had a computer that a virus erased the driver for the keyboard/mouse, so I couldnt get past login, so I had to boot up off a linux live disc, back up all the files, then reformat the hard drive.

I'm thinking that we may end up having to restore to factory settings, but I'm hoping once she brings it home (she's out of town, hence wanting to borrow my mobile card), I can get it on my network and get her files off at least. Or I may try to plug in a USB keyboard and see if that works. Her USB mouse works.

Thanks for responding.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

sry didnt see the safe mode part. But if the mouse works, then the wireless keyboard should work to which tells me its probably a driver conflict. Once you get the wireless keyboard in I would try uninstalling the sprint card driver, and then use a system restore point and see if that fixes the problem.

picard5.jpg

#6 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Thanks again for your suggestions. I was able to fix it today.

I logged in with the on screen keyboard and uninstalled the driver for the Sprint card. That did not resolve the problem, but I was able to plug in a USB keyboard. When I looked at the device manager there were no touchpad or keyboard devices. It was weird. Something I've never seen before. I'm not sure what exactly happened but I was able to do a system restore to before she installed the Sprint card and also before some Windows Updates that looked like were installed at the same time as she installed the Sprint driver. After the system restore, everything was back to working again. She's afraid to try to install the Sprint card, so I don't know for sure if that was the issue.

Thanks again for your replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users