Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Restarts and Windows explorer has encountered and error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rob212

Rob212

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

I hope I have done this right. I am not good with computers and tried to follow the instructions as best I could. If I need to add something else please tell me.

I have Windows XP Home edition.

When I boot my computer it moves to the Windows logo screen. Usually once there it restarts itself. This usually happens two to three times in a row. Also, the computer will shut off at random times as well. Once I can finally log into Windows I usually get an error that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to shut down. This message is accompanied by Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered and error and needs to shut down. I understand that Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger is a casualty and not the problem. What I don't understand is what is the problem.

I have repartitioned my drive and installed Windows from scratch this did not help.

I have attached Hijack this record and the other two requested by the help forum. I hope this information is what is needed to find out how I messed my computer up. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the help.

Attached Files

Edited by Rob212, 11 December 2009 - 12:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

Important step, Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/ .

Have you done a search of your system/Windows partition...for any .dmp files?

If not, please do so. These files try to provide clues to what is interpreted as being in need of correction.

If you have any, try to follow the procedures at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/.

You might also do a check of Event Viewer errors noted, same reason.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

FWIW: If I continued to experience errors after a fresh clean install of XP, I would begin to suspect hardware or overheating problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users