Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not all drives listed in Disk Management

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pounded clown

pounded clown

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

the only thing I saw when I went to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management was this

CD-ROM 0
DVD (F:)
No Media

My other drives are not listed. I have a C drive on which Windows XP is installed. It also has a secondary partition D with back-ups of program and system files. I also have another partition E which was reserved for Vista though I never installed it. These drives are listed in Explorer. Any thoughts as why this might have happened.

Edited by boopme, 10 December 2009 - 11:52 PM.
Moved to XP from Win 98 ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike18xx

mike18xx

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:25 AM

Control Panels > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management...

...does the volume appear there?

(If it does, see if it has a drive "letter". If it doesn't, give it one. It should then appear.)

#3 pounded clown

pounded clown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

mike 18xx
Thanks for the suggestion. I re-opened Disk management and found nothing under both "Volume" and the following headings: "Layout", "Type", "File System", "Status", "Capacity", "Free Space", "% Free", "Tolerance", "Overhead". I think this is all rooted in the cooties my PC caught the other week. Totally hijacked everything. BSOD. Since I will be wiping the hard drive to install Windows 7 sometime soon and have another PC to work from, I thought it a good opportunity to learn about my beleaguered labtop by fixing as much of it as i can manually. So far I recovered alot of the computer's functionality enough to transfer some personal files to cd but now the DVD player which was recently replaced [by Dell] is wonky. Worked for a while after the repair but now won't recognize neither blank cds and dvd's nor those I've recorded, but will play a commerical dvds....ugh. I feel like I a lab rat in a digital Rube Goldberg machine.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users