Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avg_free_stb_all_9_40_cnet(5).exe is not a valid win32 application

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brian225

Brian225

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

Here's what I know about my laptop:

Dell Inspiron 1525
Windows Vista Home Basic
Copywright 2007
Service Pack 1

Ok let me just run by step by step of how this problem started.

I'm not exactly computer savvy, and about a month ago something happened to my computer.

A fake looking anti virus window would pop up and smaller windows would tell me I have infected files and asking me if I want to run an anti-virus giving me "yes" or "no" options. I'm assuming this was the virus as they looked very fake. These windows have opped up before from time to time so I would just "x" them out.

-Anyway, one day my computer restart itself when this happened.
-Then my laptop would turn on for a brief moment, go to a blue screen and then shut off. This kept happening over and over again.
-So I read up on it, went to safe mode and tried fixing the problem.
-Eventually I did a system restore from a few days earlier and my computer went back to normal...don't know if this was the right thing to do but no my laptop doesn't have that problem....Everything pretty much works....EXCEPT THIS!

*Here's the problem I have:
My AVG anti virus won't work. I have AVG free 8.5. When I double click it, or right click it and press open, nothing happens. So I figured I would upgrade it.
-I go to the AVG free site on firefox.
-I click to download AVG 9.0 free
-Window titled "downloads" pops up and it shows avg_free_stb_all_9_40_cnet(5).exe
-So I right click it, press open, and a security warning pops up saying the publisher cannot be verified, and are you sure you want to run this software?
-I click "run" and immediately an error message pops up that says:
C:\Users\bbarvels\Downloads\avg_free_stb_all_9_40_cnet(5).exe is not a valid win32 application

Basically my problem is I want an anti virus yet AVG won't run, and I cannot upgrade. This error has also appeared when I tried downloading malwarebytes as an anti virus option but again no luck.

So what do I do?
I've read up on people with similar problems. Things I have already tried include:

-attempting to download other anti virus software? (doesn't work, same errors)
-Deleting all temp files (honestly have no idea what that is supposed to do, but I read that it is ok to do so it was worth a shot)

So again, my laptop works fine. Internet works. But I'm afraid that if my AVG continues to not work, I'll get infected with a pretty bad virus. So if anyone can help me out there with simple steps for me to understand, I will greatly appreciate it.

-And aorry for the post being long but I wanted it to be as detailed as possible. And I apologize if this EXACT same problem has been addressed before. So if you can please help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

try downloading malwarebytes and see if that solves the problem

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Brian225

Brian225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

try downloading malwarebytes and see if that solves the problem

Tried but the same error comes up

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

Hi Brian,Sounds like you have picked up something nasty on your travels.You cannot use Malwarebytes or AVG because the Virus recognises their names.You need to rename Malwarebytes for it to run and the virus not recognise it.This site has a good article about renaming exe files and getting round the problem and explains it far better than I could.Go to

http://freepcsecurity.co.uk/2009/04/20/rename-exe-file/

Click on Browsers Redirects Solved link in the search result.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

Try rkill first and then run mbam
It may have to be run multiple times

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer or you will have to run it again
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Brian225

Brian225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hi Brian,Sounds like you have picked up something nasty on your travels.You cannot use Malwarebytes or AVG because the Virus recognises their names.You need to rename Malwarebytes for it to run and the virus not recognise it.This site has a good article about renaming exe files and getting round the problem and explains it far better than I could.Go to

http://freepcsecurity.co.uk/2009/04/20/rename-exe-file/

Click on Browsers Redirects Solved link in the search result.

Tried this...the problem for malwarebytes is I have to download it first, and thats my problem, the cpu won't allow me to download it.
I tried it with avg, but do I need to rename all avg exe files? I'm a little confused by it, so I didn;t really get anywhere with that. Thank you though.

Try rkill first and then run mbam
It may have to be run multiple times

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer or you will have to run it again

I tried downloading it, but when I click save and save it to my desktop, the box that gives you the option to open, open folder, or close disappears and then the rkill is nowhere to be found. When I click on run, it tells me the publicher cannot be verified, but I run it and it dissappears. And again nothing appears on my desktop.

Also I have a windows security center on my computer and I have no idea how that works or if that is part of the problem.

Thanks for your help though and if you have anything else, please let me know. Thanks!

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

See if you can run a DDS scan

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

You will also be instructed to create a Root Repeal Log

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 Brian225

Brian225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

See if you can run a DDS scan

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

You will also be instructed to create a Root Repeal Log

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck

I will try this thank you.

#9 Brian225

Brian225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

I've been very busy but I finally go to this...still having problems.

This virus I have is screwing with any download. I click on the dds link on the page you directed me to. The window opens and says run, save, or cancel, as they all usually do. I click save, save to desktop, it goes to 100% and the box disappears (Close box is not checked). The file is then nowhere to be found.

Also, any download I have tried, such as the DDS, AVG, or malwarebytes, the icon is always blank. There is never a picture of the logo or whatever. Maybe that helps in determining exactly what I have going on.

If anyone can offer any more solutions I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by Brian225, 15 December 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

Please download runscanner.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Runscanner (C:\Runscanner) and extract (unzip) the file there.
    (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Double-click Runscanner.exe to launch.
  • Select Beginner mode and click Ok.
  • Select Do a full scan and save a log file (default is Full Scan) to start.
  • Please be patient and do not use your computer during the scan.
  • When the scan is complete, a window will open asking you to save runscanner.run. Click Cancel.
  • Another window will open asking you to save runscanner.log.
  • Save it to your desktop and "Save as type: Runscanner log file [*.log].
  • The log file will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Go to the top menu, click on "Format" and uncheck "Word Wrap" if checked.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the log file into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
  • Exit Runscanner when done.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If Runscanner did not work, then reply back here.
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users