Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged File in Downloaded Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jackim

Jackim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

I came across this by accident and am unsure if it a potential problem or not...

I was deleting cookies and temp int files because of another issue and found in the Downloaded Programs folder that the program file:
{E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} which according to the properties is an Active X control. The details list that it was created on 11/2/2006,
last accessed today (12/10/09), 0 bytes (none), Status: damaged, codebase: http: //platformdl.adobe.com /NOS/getPlusPlus/1

When I select the dependency tab there are 3 files but (0) Java packages listed that {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} depends on:
c:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM ... \GP.OCX* Damaged
c:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM F... \GP.INF* Damaged
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM3ATL.DLL* 73.728

Is this something I need to be concerned about and need to repair?

What started all of this is a picture that keeps appearing on different websites I visit that have advertisements. It's always the advertisement for Obama wanting moms to go back to college. The first image is "normal" (a mom with a child), but then I notice at some point the picture changed to some guy with long wild looking hair and a beard (very creepy looking). At first I noticed it only on the generic webpage for att.yahoo (not logged in). I contacted yahoo and they suggested I clear my cookies, etc. Which I did, and it seemed to be fine, but when I logged onto FB, that creepy looking guy appeared again for the same ad on FB. I just don't know if it's something on my computer or if it's that advertisement's issue. It is always the same ad for Obama wanting moms to go back to school. It's different websites (two that I've noticed, so far). I've never clicked on it (& won't), and when I hover over it to see if I can read a web address nothing comes up.

I run a scan on my computer every other day and a full system scan once a week. Other than cookies, it has not found any issues. I use Trend Micro Security Internet Pro. I also run RU Botted, and have not had anything pop up recently, though about 4 weeks ago it did. Other than my computer taking awhile to come up (which it has always been that way, and I have turned off everything I don't want to auto load at start up), it seems to be running normally.

Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks! Happy Holidays!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

hi,,,, apparently this is a component of adobe reader or flash player hence the association with java etc,,,, uninstall both and re download them again. i would also use revo uninstaller to remove them as this will clean up all traces,,,,,,,,
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/...4-10687648.html
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Jackim

Jackim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thank you, I will give it a try. Happy Holidays