Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpySheriff? Now my computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rch427

rch427

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:41 PM

Last night some malware got on my computer (HP Pavilion P3 running WinXPHE). This thing took over my desktop, with a big red screen, warning that my computer was infected and that I should click their button to remove it (yeah--right!). Strangely, I couldn't get the right-click to work on the desktop, to access my desktop properties.

After doing the usual virus scans, etc., I downloaded a registry cleaner. It found about 100 keys that were suspicious. About half of those were deemed dangerous, so I backed up my registry and deleted the bad keys. Then I turned off my system restore, rebooted into safe mode, ran Spybot S&D, HijackThis! and an antivirus scanner called Ewint or something. Everything looked OK.

Anyway, after going to restart, it won't go past the blue Windows screen. I tried restarting it again and again, but it simply won't go past there, in safe mode, last good config or anything else. I made a boot floppy off my other desktop (running Win98SE), but I really can't figure out where to go from the A-prompt. I *really* don't want to do a reformatting!

I'm afraid I'll have to hire a tech to get this thing up and running again, but I can't afford that for another week. To further complicate things, I don't have the installation disk for WinXP (I bought the computer used on eBay), and my other computer can't get on-line. And so, I'm using the computer at the library, hoping that someone can give me a word of advice or encouragement before 5:00 when I have to get off this terminal.

Anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users