Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a computer from bestbuy.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Inagi

Inagi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

Been stressin' out about the computer I'm, hopefully, going to be able to get for Xmas. I really, really want something I can use for a while and run games well enough with. I'll have to get it from bestbuy, as most of my money supplements will be bestbuy cards and mum, so, no internet ordering. :\

I've been looking at this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Desk...p;skuId=9536415 - 6 Gigs of ram, 2.6ghz processor, 1TB hard-drive, Windows 7..all that good stuff.

Crappy graphics card. All bestbuy computers have really, really terrible integrated ones.

So, to fix this, I looked up the newegg page of it, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883113109 *Near the bottom of the specifications list, it says it has a PCI express slot.

Now, I was thinking, could I buy a PCI express graphics card, slip it in, and be good to go? I really want to be able to run things near a high-ish level. *Fallout 3, Aion, Left4Dead 2, TF2, etc.

If I can, which I hope to god I can, slip in a PCI express graphics card, which would I use? I've been looking into it but a solid answer from you would be much better. Maybe something around the 100-150$ area? I don't know, really. All the graphics cards are just random words and numbers in the title, and the reviews all sound the same about every one I look at. "Sucks for gaming, etc etc etc"

Tl;dr version.
1. Can I use a PCI Express card on this computer?
2. If I can, which should I get? 100-150$ region.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

You should look at systems with a Core2Duo processor or better.

RAM : 6GB 800Mhz/1333Mhz DDR2
HD: 750GB - 1TB
PCI-E 2.0 Slot
Dual-layer DVD Writer

Also, be ready to change the generic PSU as most new video(graphics) cards are power hungry and will need a high-quality, efficient PSU (min. 600W).

As for the graphics card, the Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 should fall in your budget.

EVGA GTS 250

Hope this helps.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Inagi

Inagi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq%20-%20P...p;skuId=9542453

What about this, man? RAM is upgradable to eight so that's not a big deal.
Hard-drive is smaller, but it's 7200 rpm.
4000mhz bus.

If I slapped that graphics card in there, d'you think I'd be good to go? o:

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq%20-%20P...p;skuId=9542453

What about this, man? RAM is upgradable to eight so that's not a big deal.
Hard-drive is smaller, but it's 7200 rpm.
4000mhz bus.

Yeah, looks like a good deal !
Now all you need is a good graphics card and PSU.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ~ $70

GFX CARD:

HD 5770 ~ $180 (DX11 support!)

OR

GTS 250 ~ $155

Hope this helps.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 December 2009 - 05:53 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users