Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad Virus

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 sarahlinzee

sarahlinzee

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

Hi

I started to get bunch of pop ups for a windows antivirus software and i had to buy and it was 70$ and it kept saying my computer was at high risk and infected with new viruses every 10 seconds. At the time i was using the free AVG software, but decided this wasnt cutting it so took that off and purchased a Norton AntiVirus Software. As soon as i got that the pop ups stopped but i never went through the full download process - we use it at work so im familiar with it. There is no Norton icon in my desktop tray either so i know its not set up.
So the pop ups stopped but now i have random audio ads that play . I've downloaded ad-aware and done maybe a dozen scans. everytime it catches things, but the ads keep coming. I got advice from our computer tech at work and he told me to download AntiMalware program (ebam i think the file was called) and it woudlnt run. I tried ComboFix and it woudlnt run.
I dont wanna keep trying different softwares at risk of doing damange (if i havent already :flowers: )

So please help and if you could try to keep it simple im not too computer saavy. My computer seems to be working find but these ads wont stop and i know somethings still in there.

Sarah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

First and foremost CONTACT YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY!!! WHen you sent them your credit card informaiton, you were trying to "purchase" a bogus program and you may have given your credit card informaiton to hackers.

Next, you can try logging in via safemode. To do this gently tap F8 as the computer reboots. Select safemode with networking. Download, install and update Malwarebytes. Run it and remove what it finds.

Next run ATF Cleaner. Check the box for select all and then click the button for Empty Selected.

Next you will want to install, update and run SUPERAntiSpyware. Remove what it finds as well.

You mentioned purchasing Norton. If you still have the install files for it go ahead and try installing it and then updating it. If you are successful then run a full scan with it and remove what it finds as well.

During the course of these scans you will most likely be asked to reboot. Make sure you keep going back in to safemode until all of these steps are completed. After that, go back in thru the standard Windows mode and run the scans again.

Edited by azfreetech, 10 December 2009 - 09:18 PM.

DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 sarahlinzee

sarahlinzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

nono i didnt purchase it - i knew it was a scam..... So im safe there. I did buy Norton online though - would they have been able to get my visa info from that??

And ill try these steps. thank you.

Also should i be disconnected from the network while doing all this??

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

Download the programs, install and then update them. After that I would disconnect from the internet.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#5 sarahlinzee

sarahlinzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

Ok im in safemode with networking and both malwarebytes and super antispyware say
A device attached to the system is not functioning so neither of them will run.

What do i do now?

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

Please run those scans in Normal Mode.
Computer Pro

#7 sarahlinzee

sarahlinzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

wont let me....
i cant run anything except adaware and its nto fixing anything. every scan finds 100's of things to remove.
and the adds still play

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Ok, lets try Dr. Web:

Please download Dr. Web the free version & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Scan with Dr. Web Cureit as follows:
Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
The Express scan will automatically begin.
(This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
(This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)
Computer Pro

#9 sarahlinzee

sarahlinzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

Yes!! this worked. thank you so much.
Nortons up and running now too.

#10 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Did you save the report?
Computer Pro

#11 sarahlinzee

sarahlinzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

Yes i'll have to send it tonight from my home computer.
I have no problem sending it but why do you need to see it if the problem is fixed?
just wondering...

#12 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

I need to see it to see what was found. Also we are not done yet with the disinfection.
Computer Pro

#13 Fritz Guye

Fritz Guye

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Sorry to barge in (I am horrible with Forum etiquette). I am having the exact same problem but get the blue screen of death when Dr. Web gets about 40mn into its scan. I've tried it a couple of times and it appears to be blue screening when it gets somewhere with in windows/system32 folder.

Should I inquire about this here or start another post?

#14 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

Fritz Guye, Please start another thread so that you can get personalized help.
Computer Pro

#15 Fritz Guye

Fritz Guye

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

thanks, already got started after doing some more searching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users