Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mystery firewall blocking my internet access -can't find

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

All of a sudden my Windows XP Home Addition Gateway Laptop is having connection problems to the internet, using my
Cablevision of Long Island service. They say service to my modem is good and diagnostics show the connection is being "firewalled". I have only one known firewal, a Windows firewall and when I turn it off, they still show the connection firewalled.

I used Network Repair suggested by windows. It printed a log showing problems corrected. Next time I used computer, the same problem occurred. In particular, the problem makes it impossible to get into Google Chrome, which is the browser I like to use. Windows Explorer will open, but then freeze.

Someone suggested to me that updates by either Symentec(Norton) or by Windows itself has created this problem.

How do I correct this? Anyone?

44 Guy.

p.s. this is not a new computer and I have had no such problems until recently.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

What diagnostics...and exactly what do they reflect/state?

Did you check Event Viewer for possible errors that would provide clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Looking for any errors that reflect on network/Internet connectivity.

Louis

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

What diagnostics...and exactly what do they reflect/state?

Did you check Event Viewer for possible errors that would provide clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Looking for any errors that reflect on network/Internet connectivity.

Louis

Good morning Hamluis! I used Network Diagnostics for Windows XP, which came up on the screen when Internet Explorer failed to go into a web site, as an option. I clicked the big button on the screen and it went into a diagnostic test as to any connectivity problems. I printed a log report, which appears quite comprehensive.

The major findings were stated as follows:

" Corrupted IP routing table and invalid ARP Cache. Cache was flushed. repaired gateway"

Sounds great, but didn't solve problem. Had problem a second time, ran diagnostics again and got report but somewhat different...I don't have it with me here so I can't quote it.

I am now at a different location however, and the laptop appears to be working fine.

I still suspect it has something to do with Cablevision. I have a different internet provider (comcast) where I am now.
I'll bet when I return to my office, I will have similar problems-- again problems were:

Not going into Google Chrome internet; very slow loading and then failing to get into website.
Internet explorer would go on internet but then freeze and fail to honor commands or go into websites.

What do you think? By the way, what is ARP? I understand the cache language but what does ARP stand for?

I am semi-literate as to computers, and understand what the diagnostics did, but what causes this problem?

44 guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users