Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

Ive installed a USB expansion card in one of my PCI ports but have noticed that whenever anything is attached to it, ie joystick or mouse etc, my pc wont SHUTDOWN and instead RESTARTS. To SHUTDOWN I have to remove any USB devices attached to the card and then SHUTDOWN.
Anyone know why this is??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:32 PM

Hello,(Hope you use XP)
"Most Win XP shutdown problems reported thus far have been that it reboots when shutdown is attempted."

"XP executes an automatic restart in the event of a system failure."

This could be the cause of your problem. Others have had this problem too. They leave there USB device plugged in and hit shutdown but it restarts instead.

This could be because it is still trying to read/use the USB device and it has a system failure.

Try doing the following to stop the “restart on system failure” feature:

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

I found this on another site:

USB Connections, several different USB-related issues can impact shutdown. One of the most concrete examples was a “reboot on shutdown” problem contributed by correspondent Rick Bross. If his several USB devices (PDA cradle, flash card reader, etc) were plugged into the motherboard’s USB ports, his computer would reboot on an attempted shutdown; but when, instead, he plugged them into an external USB 2.0 hub, shutdown went just fine. (This was with Win XP Professional SP1 on a Supermicro X5DAE dual Xeon motherboard. The same devices plugged into an Asus A7M-266D dual AMD 2000MP system on the same OS worked without problem.)

For more information please read here, it has many more things about the system not shutting down.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users