Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot play system sounds or hear sound on youtube

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sam-chan

Sam-chan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

Well my computer had a virus, and thanks to the awesome people on this site I was able to fix it. Prior to that I tried to fix it myself using Malwarebytes. Anyway my computer was clean and everything was running normal. However, after I uninstalled Malwarebytes I tried to play music on Musicmatch Jukebox, and I got the error: Waveout not supported. This was odd because I was able to play music on itunes and Windows Media Player. Then I realized that I also could no longer hear system sounds and that I couldn't hear sound on youtube. I checked my soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Live, which was working fine. I tried to reinstall Windows Media Player, which didn't help. I installed K-Lite Codec pack, which also didn't help. After I uninstalled K-Lite and went back to my original codec pack, CCCP, it was then that I got a prompt telling me that I was missing some Registry Keys which would affect my computer's sound. I'm wondering if I accidentally deleted something when I uninstalled Malwarebytes.

You can view my original topic here, the sound issue is on the second page.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276614/my-desktop-has-a-green-screen-telling-me-my-system-is-infected/

Help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated ^_^
Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

have you tried removing your sound card from device manager, reboot, when computer restarts it will find the sound card and you can then re-install the drivers.

#3 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

I reinstalled my sound card and tried to reinstall the drivers, but I got an error telling me the driver couldn't be located. I just can't win can I? :thumbsup:

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

download the latest drivers for your card at creative site. save in a folder on desktop. do the remove, boot, thing again and when it asks for drivers, click the radio button that says "install from a specific location (advanced)" . browse to the folder with the updated drivers to point the computer to the new drivers.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

this link will lead you to the driver download for your "Creative Sound Blaster Live" (there are a few live cards to choose from)
http://support.creative.com/Products/produ...=Sound+Blaster#

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Also make sure you get video codecs from reputable sources, not as a torrent found by google. Malware distributors have found codecs to be a great resource for social engineering.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

also i would check control panel --> add/remove programs and remove any sound blaster related software. the driver file is a self extracting and self launching setup program so when you reboot after removing card from device manager, cancel or close the windows setup wizard and run the creative setup program you downloaded.

#8 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Wow so much info! I'll try it and see if it works. Thanks!

Will completely uninstalling and reinstalling my sound card fix the missing registry problem too?

Edited by Sam-chan, 10 December 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

You also may want to consider reinstalling Adobe Flash Player on your computer.

Most of youtube is flash and if it's not working or damaged, nothing will play properly.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#10 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

I reinstalled my sound card and also reinstalled adobe flash player, but no change. In fact when I tried to reinstall the driver I got an error telling me the driver couldn't be found. But like I said before my sound card is working fine, if it wasn't I wouldn't be be able to hear any sound what so ever right?

I went on Dell's website (I have a Dell desktop) and they had two audio driver downloads for my computer. I'll download them, but should I first uninstall the audio drivers I have now? Or should i just download and install the Dell driver?

Edited by Sam-chan, 12 December 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#11 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Well I can't install the driver, I got the error that the driver couldn't be found. Ugh I'm sure Malwarebytes deleted something! Things were running fine before I got rid of Maywarebytes.

Would doing a system repair help me?

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

What model Dell computer do you have?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#13 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

Dell Dimension 8250.

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

is the error "driver couldn't be found" or driver for your particular card is not part of the package you downloaded. which would mean you downloaded the wrong package or the download is corrupt. i would go with the dell drivers and try downloading again.

#15 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

It's driver not found. I still have my dell drivers cd, and when I installed from there I got that message. Then I downloaded the driver from dell.com and got the same problem

I was watching a dance video on youtube with no sound :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users