Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

K9 Web Protection Causing XP Pro SP3 Computers to Reboot?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wesleymcpl

wesleymcpl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

I'm a network administrator for a small town public library. We implemented K9 Web Protection months ago on our small, peer-to-peer networks at both our library locations. It worked fine for the most part. After a few months of using it simply to prohibit viewing of inappropriate sites, I entered in EXE in the blocked words which prevented the patrons from installing things. I was happy.

Flash forward a few months after that. Our public PCs begin sporadically rebooting without giving a blue screen. Once the computer was back on, we could log into the admin and get an odd error that read something like this:

"BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00000000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F439F98E OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1"

There was additional information and a prompt to send the notification to Microsoft. Through Google we found that this was possibly a driver issue, so we downloaded Driver Agent and ran it on all the machines and updated to the latest drivers. For a while, the problem went away but it eventually came back. There was thought that it might be a power isue, so we called electricians and they installed new plugs. This didn't help either. We did find through this, though, that there wasn't a ground to the plugs the PCs were using. I also ran Windows Memory Diagnostic on one of the plagued machines and received no errors. Oh, and I did do a clean install on one of them which didn't help either.

So, we're still getting reboots. On a whim I decide to uninstall K9 Web Protection given that it was one of the programs all the PCs had. After doing this, the reboots went away! Today, I attempted to re-install the program without the EXE block in place thinking maybe having those blocked created the problem. Shortly after my reinstall on one of the machines, it rebooted.

Has anyone else suffered a similar problem with K9? Or, has anyone else suffered sporadic reboots in XP Pro caused by something else? I'm about ready to quit and find a job in an Amish bakery, honestly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

I have used k9 in my home in the past on multiple computers and have never had those issues, though it is possible that it is conflicting with one of your drivers. another possibility is a virus has infected the system that could do it, but im not sure. If removing K9 solved the problem, then I would imagine that it is K9 conflicting with something on the computer. are all the computers the exact same, or different models/manufacturers?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users