Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Keeps Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

I have a dial-up connection and my connection speed is 28.8kps and like every 10 minutes, well lets just say it happens too frequently that my internet connection turns off. Most likely someone will say call your ISP and/or Telephone Company, but telling me to call them will most likely be a waste of time, since they both will likely blame it on each other, my ISP did the last time I called him. My friend a couple houses away also has a dial-up connection, but a different ISP and he said that his connection speed is around 28.8 to 35kps. I would like solutions to my problem, I can barely search the web for a solution on google and I couldn't find any.

I would search for upgrades for my modem, but I don't know what it is called.

Edit: The Internet doesn't turn off it just slows down a lot and well I don't really know what is happening, the internet is still on, I know because when I turn on the phone it make the internet busy voice, I guess I just want to know why it slows down.

Edited by Fremder, 13 August 2005 - 07:36 PM.

You will not like me if I'm angry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

If you (hopefully) have a choice of telephone numbers to connect to, try some of the others. Very often, your dial up ISP considers lack of activity on the connexion a disconnect and severs the connexion, especially on heavily used phone numbers.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

Well, I don't know if my ISP has more than 1 telephone number since he is, I believe a guy with a server in his house or something, I will have to call him and ask and COMPLAIN. I thought maybe I should switch to NetZero or something, it costs the same as the ISP I have now and they are suppose to have an accelerator that is suppose to go faster than other accelerators and its called the 3G.

I have a second question that is not related to this post, how do ISPs connect you to the internet, do they just connect to bigger ISP, I know the internet is just data stored on computers and servers, but why can they get the information and average joes have to pay for it. This is something that I have been wondering about for awhile?

Edited by Fremder, 13 August 2005 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:20 PM

lol info is not free man! except here, and you are paying an isp. you may want to try checking for adware/spyware/malware. before/after that , go into your web browser(internet explorer) tools>internet options>programs>reset web settings.
then go over to the next tab (same window)advanced, then select defaults.
exit out of your web browser, then reconnect. another idea is to change modems, you are using a pci modem? get a good hardware modem, the techs at the local computer store will know.they are generally better then the crappy intel "winmodems" that typically are found in towers. last reply was correct in finding out another phone number to dial into, call your isp and ask for another number in the local call exchange.
let me know how you make out
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:21 AM

Check To See That No programs Are Hogging Up Your Bandwidth.

#6 mloo55

mloo55

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

Just something like happened to me when i was using dial up conection and initially el problem was the modem card I changed but the internet disconnected as you mentioned but following the advices of the guys of this forum I got the solution.
The pc was infected with spies and they cut out the connection every 10 o 15 mnutes. i used spybot, ad aware and great amount of malware was cleaned and the pc does ot disconect any more but regulary I cclean the pc and of course any doubt all people of te forum will help.
Hope it is useful

rgds
mloo55

#7 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:52 PM

Well, a week ago, my hard drive got frided and I have to redownload everything so right, now I'm trying to get Search & Destroy and Ad-aware, but the internet just keeps turning off on me, the first thing I download was a download manager, so I wouldn't lose anything.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:06 AM

Have you looked into broadband? I know here Cox and BellSouth have $24.99/mo for 256/256 and 256/128. Your local cable or telco may have something similar. Here you have to know to ask for it. They don't advertise it, but it is available.
Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

I'm basically in the countryside, I can't get broadband yet, I went to the EarthLink site and told them I wanted it and they put me on a waiting list, which I probably won't get it anyways. What is kind of pathetic, I'm about a mile away from a highway that has a T3 cables going under it. What program will get rid of malware and what is it? Its not like spyware and adware right.

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

it all kinda fits into the same boat, spyware/malware/adware. if you are chok full, use adaware, spybot, and ewidos. these have generally been good for malware removal. check the forums, and post a hijackthis log into it for more complete help. best to install and update these programs in normal mode, but go into safe mode to run and remove them.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:01 AM

Here are some links. Not great option, but better than not.

Starband
DirectWay
DirecPC

Freeware

Adaware
Spybot
MicroSoft AntiSpyware Beta (This requires 2000,XP Home, XP Pro)

AVG Free Edition Antivirus

Hope this helps...
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users