Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE list of Restricted Sites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Simple Simon

Simple Simon

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

Is the Internet Explorer list of restricted sites the same one I am using to place the IP numbers and/or URLs of unwanted sites in? The place I use in my IE.6.0 / SP2 browser can he found at; Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Sites.

In there it says, "Per site privacy actions. You can specify which websites are always or never allowed to use cookies, regardless of their privacy policy".

I believe the sites I enter here are unable to use ActiveX or Javascript or anything else in my computer, yet I am still able to view those sites. Correct? But other, friendly sites are still able to interact normally with me? And this is my "List of restricted sites?
- Simon

All those who believe in telekinesis raise my right hand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

The information found below should explain the uses of various IE settings:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/...y/settings.mspx

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

Thank you John, I'll take a look.
- Simon

#4 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hi John, I read in both places and I have a couple of questions. I have been placing unwanted sites, (URLs and/or IP address) into the "Per Site Privacy Actions" section which I get to via, Options -> Privacy -> Sites.

I see now when I go to the Restricted Zone, Options -> Security -> Restricted, there is a totally different list of entries. I added one while I was there and although I couldn't find it in the list later, I did get a pop-up from MSAS telling me it was blocking that entry now.

Have I done any harm by placing unwanted websites in the "Per Site Privacy Settings" list? I will now begin to add them into the Restricted Zone instead. BTW, I do have SpywareBlaster.

I read on how to set the Restricted Zone and looked at my settings under Custom Level. It suggests we set all to "Disable" but some are as follows...

Font Download... Prompt
Display Mixed Content... Prompt
Software Channel Permissions... High safety
Submit non-encrypted form data... Prompt
Login prompt and Popup Blocker are fine.

I tested my setup with the WSHOM.OSX Exploit Test Page and passed. Do I need to disable any of the above settings?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. When I have this settled I will have some questions on my HOSTS File, and on IE-Spyad. :thumbsup:
- Simon

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:39 PM

I no longer use IE, so I really cannot advise you with any degree of certainty; however, having some browser actions set to "prompt" is perfectly acceptable.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

That's okay John, the links you gave me have pointed me in the right direction. I appreciate that.
- Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users