Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ptrs, plz, as to how to restablish NVidia 5200 drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LeftCoast_Dave

LeftCoast_Dave

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

I evidently messed up when updating the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 5200 FX card (on a Dell 8300);
- I have two Control Panels (NVIDIA nview Desktop Manager, and NVIDIA Control Panel) that appear in my list of Control Panels; nothing appears in my task bar from these, nor does anything seem to happen when I select them.

- I have tried repeated uninstalls and rollbacks, both in normal startup and safe boot, re-installs in all sorts of conditions, to no avail.

The computer itself still has servicable life, though I will need to replace its optical drives soon.

- Can someone please walk me through, or point me towards, instructions on how to get this card up and going, OR

perhaps I best put in a new video card on an old computer; if so, HTH do I rid the computer of seemingly useless NVIDIA control panels

- Or have I reached a point where a complete re-install of Win XP is warranted? Or just migrate all I have to one of my Macs?

Thanks for any and all ideas,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

1. Do a clean uninstall of the Nvidia drivers and reboot your system.
2. Download and Install the latest version of the drivers (Either from the Dell or Nvidia website).

BTW, are you sure the card is still working rather compatible with the current system?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 LeftCoast_Dave

LeftCoast_Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the reply -
I've done all the "uninstalls" I can think of, both in normal boot and safe boot, through the add/remove control panel. I am still left with NVidia control panels that don't fire, and a monitor/card config that isn't so hot (crappy video, no hibernation mode, etc.)

Reinstalling NVidia drivers though their install program has been futile to date.

So, how do I best achieve a "clean removal"? Or what other ideas come to mind? A complete reinstall of the OS (sheesh)?

TIA
Dave

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the reply -
I've done all the "uninstalls" I can think of, both in normal boot and safe boot, through the add/remove control panel. I am still left with NVidia control panels that don't fire, and a monitor/card config that isn't so hot (crappy video, no hibernation mode, etc.)

Reinstalling NVidia drivers though their install program has been futile to date.

So, how do I best achieve a "clean removal"? Or what other ideas come to mind? A complete reinstall of the OS (sheesh)?

TIA
Dave

You could use something like CCleaner to eliminate all traces of the driver installation.
Anything and everything Nvidia should be removed.

On the other hand...

A complete reinstall of the OS isn't an easy decision but it does guarantee normality following which you can carry out a clean install of all drivers and applications.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 10 December 2009 - 05:56 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users