Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I rescue my laptop's files?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DieBvsPss

DieBvsPss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

I wasn't sure if I should put this in here, windows xp or the security forum so please correct me :thumbsup:

Ok so first let me tell you the story, about a a year ago my laptop caught a virus. It hijacked my web browser and it stopped letting me read CDs and DVDs (which left Formatting out of option). After much struggling I managed to remove it from the system but did one wrong step with the registry, it was using Wininit to run/restore itself when windows started so I deleted the value (not the key itself, I forgot what it was, Winlogon I think?).

So now Windows won't start, when I try to log in it does the 'logging in' music, shows me my wallpaper for a second then quickly logs out. I've tried with safe mode but when its loading SPTD.sys it crashes. I've read about it and apparently one solution is to uninstall Daemon Tools but since I can't get into windows (it logs me out when I get in) thats not possible. I never used Linux and had a Ubuntu CD someone gave me so I thought it'd be a good moment to give it a try but the disc drive doesn't recognizes anything so I couldn't install it nor boot from the CD.

So not being able to log in normally, from Safe Mode or from a CD I gave up on it and got a new laptop. I have files, logs and pictures of sentimental value there so I thought I'd get them later if I ever felt the need. Fast-forward one year to today and my dad wants to use the laptop and plans to send it somewhere to be fixed but my priority is to recover my files before he sends it in and anyone access or deletes them.

So now my questions are: What cable do I need to buy to access my old laptop's HD as a external drive? Is it as easy to remove a few screws, take the HD out and plug it to my laptop or is there anything I should know? Can the laptop can still be fixed?

Thanks for your time!

edit: also the laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-7D2L

Edited by DieBvsPss, 09 December 2009 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users