Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway XP - Virus caused C disk problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Calvin Clark

Calvin Clark

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hello.

A couple days ago my friend's computer stopped booting (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ Memory 916480KB). The C: drive is a 250GB IDE drive... WDC WD2500BB-22GUCO

For a couple days my friend played around with a Kaspersky rescue disk and had some access to the drive. When I arrived tonight... the computer went through diagnostics and stops with the message...

Error Loading OS

I would like to recover any data I can. Is it possible that this is malware caused? I don't have a lot of information at this point and I am not a computer expert but I can follow directions (I think). One of the Kaspersky scans yesterday apparently identified this malware...

Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen

It is possible that my friend did something to muck-up the drive because they had access yesterday but it is no longer there and they ran a lot of different recovery type disks.

Your recommendations would be helpful. I plan to work on this for a while tonight and continue to follow this through tomorrow until I have saved some data or until I am out of options to save anything.

I await your questions and/or direction.

I am going to start with this link...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

Please stop me if that is the wrong approach.

Edited by Calvin Clark, 09 December 2009 - 11:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Calvin Clark

Calvin Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

Okay... it is now day two of my quest to recover the inaccessible data.

Yesterday, I ran CHKDSK /R and it told me there were unrecoverable disk errors. I also ran Western Digital's Recovery Console and got scared off when it recommended that I first back up my data (It apparently wanted to run a destructive disk test).

I then put in a bootable Norton Antivirus disk and that disk recognized a ton of files from the "unreachable, unrecoverable" C: drive (mostly in a folder called "c:/I386"). I am trying to build a bootable DVD that has DiskDigger on it and am purchasing an external hard drive since there is no backup of any of this disk data. After I get as many files off the broken C: drive, I intend to try partition repairs to repair the boot.ini file (or whatever I can figure out needs to be done).

I would still appreciate it if someone who knows what they are doing would give me advice. I am too dangerous to be doing this on my own, but a lack of response is causing me to move forward blind.

Thanks for reading... I will continue until this is solved or frustrates every idea I have.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

<<I would like to recover any data I can.>>

Guidance by Usasma is always good...but I would start with removing the hard drive and moving any data files deemed valuable...to another drive/partition...before beginning with any disk checks or diagnostics. Data files, not programs, not the O/S.

<<Is it possible that this is malware caused?>>

Of course, it's possible. It's also possible that a weak CMOS battery contributes or that the hard drive or file system or MBR has become damaged. The only way to try to find out is to eliminate suspects/possible causes, IMO.

<<Error Loading OS>>

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Genuine XP install CD?

Louis

#4 Calvin Clark

Calvin Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

<<I would like to recover any data I can.>>

Guidance by Usasma is always good...but I would start with removing the hard drive and moving any data files deemed valuable...to another drive/partition...before beginning with any disk checks or diagnostics. Data files, not programs, not the O/S.

<<Is it possible that this is malware caused?>>

Of course, it's possible. It's also possible that a weak CMOS battery contributes or that the hard drive or file system or MBR has become damaged. The only way to try to find out is to eliminate suspects/possible causes, IMO.

<<Error Loading OS>>

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Genuine XP install CD?

Louis

Thanks for your response Louis...
Okay... I just went to the store and bought a new external 500GB drive that can hold any recovered data files. I am now going to use DiskDigger to get the individual files backed up. I have UNsuccessfully tried to use Acronis disk director to do an image copy of the disk.

The system is a Gateway - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ with Memory of 916480KB. The inaccessible disk is a Western Digital 250GB drive (WD Caviar Blue drive).

The original Gateway XP installation disk is cracked, but I have another Genuine XP install CD.

Edited by Calvin Clark, 10 December 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#5 Calvin Clark

Calvin Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

This is not going well. I am having trouble salvaging any data from the drive at all. It looks like an image backup may work so I can worry about saving the data files later.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

It's your call.

FWIW: Any time that Windows tells a user that he/she has hard drive problems...there's a high degree of probablility that you may not be using that drive very long.

Thr true test is to run the long version of the manufacturer's diagnostic for the hard drives it manufactures.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users