Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help reinstalling vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vistaboy1980

vistaboy1980

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

Hi, I bought a new copy of vista and installed it on my computer. The old system had crashed, and when i installed the new, i put it on my small c drive, to save the old data on the d drive. Problem is, the c is so small there's no memory left on it and the computer is malfunctioning. SO, the question is, how can I install the os on the drive without losing the data there (without reformatting the drive), and how can I then remove the os from the c drive. Also, there an ofl messed up version of vista on the d drive, and I'd like to remove that, too. Many thank yous in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:25 AM

hi,,, sorry about this, but lets recap,,,, you have a partitioned drive that's very small,,,, C: & D: drives,,,, you also have windows vista installed on both partitions,,,, on the D: there is data you need and do not want to lose,,,,, doth parts of the partitioned hard drive are not working very well,,, and the C: drive is not big enough,,,,, you say this is causing issues with this partition,,,,
easiest thing to do then is get your self an external hard drive and save all the data you want to keep to this,,,,, by data do you mean picture files,,, music files,,, txt files etc,,,, not programs ???
then this will save to the ext drive and all will be fine,,, program files will have to be re downloaded,,,,
then shove in your vista disc and do a clean install,,,, delete all partitions and format the full drive and install vista back on to the clean drive,,,,, then when vista is installed and up to date copy all your data files back to the newly installed os,,,,,,,,
something like that anyway :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users