Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another BSOD stop: 0x7b (0xBA4C3524...)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 skuffer

skuffer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

Runing WinXP Pro

About a week ago I got infected with a virus, but I am pretty confident that it's been removed. However, I suspect that the virus or perhaps a mistake by me may have altered my boot partition or boot files so that windows won't boot in any of the F8 options (last successful one, safe mode, etc.)

The error did not appear after any hardware changes or installations of new software.

While the computer was still able to boot in windows, I ran malwarebytes and cleaned off several trojans, but then the virus must have still been active as yahoo or google search results would get hijacked to totally unrelated sites. In the process of trying to fix the computer, and after it would not boot in safe mode with F8, I ran msconfig and clicked the boot in safe mode check box on the boot.ini tab as a way to try to "force" the system to boot into safe mode. Well, that's when the BSOD first appeared with the message stop 0x0000007B (OxBA4C3524, 0XC0000034, 0X0, 0X0).

Luckily I had a spare hard drive and installed windows on it and copied off my critical documents, but there are several programs on that drive that I can't reinstall, or would be difficult to reinstall as some of the install disks are lost and I would have to buy upgraded versions. My question is can I can get windows to boot and avoid having to reinstall applications?

I ran fixmbr under the windows repair console and it did not fix.

I've used fixmbr.exe (www.sysint.no) and created a new master boot record (after backing up my current one of course). Then I compared the ntldr and ntdetect.com files against good copies (on the second disk with a fresh copy of windows installed). All to no avail. I'm wondering if I can run from the recovery consold fixboot and fdisk/mbr without windows losing the file structure of the drive.

I've also made sure there are no viruses by using a second antivirus program, sav32cli.exe which is available from SOPHOS. As I said earlier, I am able also to run malware bytes from the good bootable drive and it finds no viruses on the bad one.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users