Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Internet Explorer Instances

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bzigrossi


  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me. I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.0. I have cable high speed internet.

After I boot up, if I launch the task manager it shows me 2 instances of Internet Explorer running (IEXPLORE.EXE) and taking up a lot of space. I have not launched the browser at all, and if I try to end the processes, within seconds they pop back up.

Has anyone experienced this as well? I've run virus software and spyware stuff galore, and nothing is helping.

Thanks in advance for your help : )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 jgweed


  • Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago, Il.
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

If the process is in capitals, then there is very good chance you have a virus. See the BC database for all the variations on the name. Update your resident AV and then run a full scan of your hard drive in safe mode. Let us know if this solves the problem.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bzigrossi

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the help and good advice, John. : )

I updated my virus scan, ran a thorough scan - and it was still there. After that i cleaned out my temp files - including my son's user name temp files - and I believe whatever it was, it was hiding in there. The problem seems to be gone.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users