Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 - Windows Explorer Hang

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Have Dell with 6 GB RAM & upgraded to Win 7 (64) ... never used Vista-64 (upgraded immediately after purchase). Once in a while (approx 4 times per wk ... I use PC 12 hours per day) Windows Explorer hangs as follows:

1) Boot
2) After boot completes, right click on an icon (to get to Delete, Properties, etc)
3) Hang (rotating spinner - used to be hour glass) ... once waited 25 minutes then gave up
4) Ctl-Alt-Del ... can do it
5) Start Task Manager ... CPU Usage = 1%, memory usage = 1.19 GB
6) Right click on icon again (think Esc yields same results) get:

Windows Explorer not responding

->check for solution and restart
->close program
->wait

7) choose 'check for ...'
8) Win 7 checks & Windows Explorer restarts
9) Right click same icon
10) Correct pull-down ... hang never happens again until I boot the next day (or days later)

Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:21 AM

Does it only happen when you right click on an icon i.e. is the PC usable otherwise?
When you check Task Manager do you hit the box at the bottom of the Processes tab that says "Show processes from all users"?

#3 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

Does it only happen when you right click on an icon i.e. is the PC usable otherwise?
When you check Task Manager do you hit the box at the bottom of the Processes tab that says "Show processes from all users"?

Yes, only happens after first time I right click an icon from the desktop. System "spins it's wheels" (rotating circle) until I do a Ctl-Alt-Del ... then I choose Task Mgr. Processes have CPU=00 mostly ... tskmgr alternates between 00 and 02 every 10-15 secs - while - drm alternates between 00 and 01 every 10-15.

Sometimes ESC gets me to the window where I choose 'look for a solution and restart' (sometimes left or right click brings up the window - probably anything that causes an interrupt).

After that Windows Explorer 'restarts' and everything works fine. No further problems until I reboot and fo the first right click from the desktop.

I usually start programs from the 'Quick Launch' taskbar and can start them without a problem but, even after other apps have started, the first right click on an icon from the desktop results in the 'hang'.

#4 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

It's a long shot but do you have any "strange" drive mappings - I have seen Explorer spin its wheels trying to reconcile a drive mapping for a drive that no longer existed but the mapping was still appearing.

#5 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:53 AM

Not sure about any"strange" mappings ... only have the SATA HDD (C: and D:) and an old Iomega zip drive(USB) attached all the time. Have 2 flash drives which I only infrequently attach. Also have a 1TB Iomega (USB) drive for a backup which is used even more infrequently.

Problem occurred once today when I right clicked on a file (in a subdir on the C: disk). Went to task mgr and subdir was 'not responding'. Ended it and tried again - worked OK 2nd time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users