Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First IRQL error, now this...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Acolyte

Acolyte

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

So one of my family's computers (a Dell Dimension 4600--I can list the specs later if they're needed) has been giving the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD more steadily, until today, when it started doing it within seconds of booting up (interestingly, it doesn't BSOD in safe mode). I decided to try to update the graphics card driver first, as that had been a problem area when I reinstalled XP on it this summer.

The card is nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200; I installed the latest driver for it, restarted in normal mode to see if it would BSOD, and it did. So I reinstalled and went to safe mode, at which point I was greeted with a lengthy error message in a format utterly new to me. No blue screen/STOP error, just black screen with grey lettering. Here it is, in its entirety:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntoskrnl.exe
TRAP 00000006 ================ EXCEPTION =============

tr=0028 cr=80000013 cr2=00000000 cr3=00039000
gdt limit=03FF base=0003F000 idt limit=07FF base=0003F400
csLeip=0008:0040737F ss:esp=0010:0005F95C errcode=0000
flags=000100086 NoCy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=00008000 ebx=00008000 ecx=00000000 edx=00480001 ds=0010 es=0010
edi=80507580 esi=00488000 ebp=0005F978 cr0=80000013 fs=0030 gs=0000

Of interest to me was the mention of ntoskrnl.exe--earlier this evening, while investigating the IRQL error, I followed some directions I found online to use PSTAT.EXE and MS Excel to determine which program was using the memory address closest to/lower than the address in the error code--that program then being a prime suspect for the IRQL error. The program which turned up was ntoskrnl.exe. Could it be at fault for both the IRQL error and this one? Would repairing the XP installation be a good way to go?

Thanks so much for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rhett Trappman

Rhett Trappman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

You may try looking in the BIOS and see if there are conflicting IRQ configurations.
To enter the BIOS, press F8 at start-up. Check to see than no to IRQ values are the same.

If you cannot start in normal or safe mode, then reformating may be an option... See if anyone else has an idea before doing this.
NOTE: Before a reformat, please back-up important files / folders as this process will remove everything and install factory defaults.

Edited by Rhett Trappman, 09 December 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Acolyte

Acolyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

You may try looking in the BIOS and see if there are conflicting IRQ configurations.
To enter the BIOS, press F8 at start-up. Check to see than no to IRQ values are the same.

If you cannot start in normal or safe mode, then reformating may be an option... See if anyone else has an idea before doing this.
NOTE: Before a reformat, please back-up important files / folders as this process will remove everything and install factory defaults.

I'm not seeing IRQ options in the BIOS--and in a quick Google search there are others saying that Dell's BIOS doesn't have those options for some reason.
Am I missing something? Any idea where I can find the IRQ configs?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

FWIW: Shared IRQs have been a fact of life for sometime in Windows, that is no indication of a problem, IMO.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068

http://kadaitcha.cx/irq_conflicts.html. Note the paragraph that begins "Manually assigning IRQs in BIOS is generally only applicable...".

http://www.jamespot.com/a/195639-How-to-Re...in-Windows.html. Note (if you do a Google search) that many of these errors relate to Win 2K).

If I had the capability for doing a repair install of XP (35 minutes with the correct CD), then I would simply try that.

If no joy with that, I would do a clean install...I don't see where anyone posted a clear resolution of this type of error (in my scans of Google).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users