Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop: Getting 65c+

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rawriminvisible

rawriminvisible

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

As the title says laptop is running pretty hot for about last 6mo or so the model is...

Toshiba Satellite p305d - s8829

I've had it for a year now originally it never got hot, then it started to shut down cause it would heat up so much.
I currently have no info loss and no Blue Screen of Death. I can run a lot of high stress photo/music/game applications and it wouldn't heat up at all. Now just being idle its around 65c.
When I turn on a movie, game, music hell even a FLASH browser game it goes up to 80/85c and when I shut the app/game down it takes forever for the heat to drop if it does.

The fan is working, as far as I know all my drivers are up to date. My sister has same laptop, hers is Intel mine is AMD, her's is 2gb ram and mine is 3gb. I figured maybe it was the processor difference Intel always seems to be smooth takes its time, AMD is like brutal lets kick some ass and get this done. But also figured it was a bad ram stick, so I took the 1gb stick out and it didn't really make to much of a difference.

I figured it was the ram cause I had help on here before for a rootkit virus, when he had me run the scans a few of them came back saying I only had 2gb ram when I have 3gb. Even with the stick removed though nothing changed.

Average temp for this system should be 40-50 and around 60-70 when playing games.
Anyone have a clue whats up or something I can run to tell me if a driver isn't up-to-date and its making the computer work overtime?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is an accumulation of dust and dirt and hair in the cooling fins of the processor heatsink.

One possible way to clean this out is to get a "can of air" and blow directly into the fan on the bottom of the laptop. This pressurized air should move most accumulations out the back/side of the laptop and allow your heatsink/fan combination to cool your processor at a much better rate.

The best way, in my opinion, would be to remove the fan/heatink assembly and clean the dust and dirt and other accumulated things out also using the "can of air" but would give you much better visual clarity as to whether or not it is clean.

Taking the heatsink and fan assembly out of the laptop is not for the faint of heart as you are taking your computer apart and run the risk of electro static shock or other broken parts if not done carefully and properly.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

Those temps are a bit high. There are limited solutions you can try that involve software alone to cool down the computer. The best way would be to disassemble the laptop clean it out and apply new thermal paste to the processor. I have googled quickly for dissasembly instructions but I am unable to find any at the moment. If you have never taken a laptop apart you may want to contact a local shop. You can try searching for more dissasembly instructions most laptops are similar.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 rawriminvisible

rawriminvisible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:29 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is an accumulation of dust and dirt and hair in the cooling fins of the processor heatsink.

One possible way to clean this out is to get a "can of air" and blow directly into the fan on the bottom of the laptop. This pressurized air should move most accumulations out the back/side of the laptop and allow your heatsink/fan combination to cool your processor at a much better rate.

The best way, in my opinion, would be to remove the fan/heatink assembly and clean the dust and dirt and other accumulated things out also using the "can of air" but would give you much better visual clarity as to whether or not it is clean.

Taking the heatsink and fan assembly out of the laptop is not for the faint of heart as you are taking your computer apart and run the risk of electro static shock or other broken parts if not done carefully and properly.

Hope this helps,

I had it opened like 2 months ago and blew it all out. Didn't take the fan/heatsink out though...
wasn't very dusty...I'll try again tom...

#5 rawriminvisible

rawriminvisible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Kay just got to school and burrowed a can of compressed air, blew it. There was more dust then I thought there would come out but not much. I have 3 flash games, youtube movie and zune running right now. Trying to get it to heat up so far the highest its gone is 54 and then drops to 51 and then slowly makes its way back up. But that's like 10c better then it was before. I can't do a real test until I get home cause almost all game servers are locked here, the game and adobe are what makes it really climb up. I tried adobe and it went to 58c and dropped to about 55 and stayed in that range, before with adobe/zune/youtube video it would go up to 80c. So still a little better, also HD temp went from 44c and is staying around 35c. When I get home I will take it apart the best I can and blow it out, right now I am going to run all these apps for a hour and see how it does. Currently around 57c.

Edited by rawriminvisible, 10 December 2009 - 03:41 PM.

#6 rawriminvisible

rawriminvisible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

Test it when I got home last night, games, music, videos, etc etc all on at the same time.
Never went past 65c, once the fan kicked on the temp just started dropping to usually 51c and then slowly makes its way back up.
Still a little higher then it use to be...but probably cause I didn't take it full apart, just kinda blew out the surface and such.

tyvm guys ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users