Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing menus/toolbars/options...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sbkoala70

sbkoala70

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

I have a Dell desktop with MS Windows XP Professional, version 2002, service pack 3. The PC info is

Intel®
Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 0.99GB of RAM

First, I've tried System Restore and no matter what data I pick, it won't work.

I want to password protect my computer however setting a password only works when I log out the computer. I discovered that if you simple shut down and restart, it won't ask for the password. I wanted to set that ctrl+alt+del thing but when I go to the user account area where it tells me to do that, there is no menu or toolbar to be able to select Advanced Options as the help menu tells me.

Also, if/when my PC freezes while on a web page and I do the ctrl+alt+del to bring up that window that will allow me to End Now, there is no menus there at all. Just a white box and a listing of what's running. There are no buttons or anything so that the only way I can even close that window is to right click on little green chart in next to the time at the bottom of the screen and tell it to close.

Another weird thing is that when I restart the computer, there is a set of little black outlined boxes in the lower right taskbar next to the time and I can only get them to go away by doing ctrl+alt+del. When I do say it makes a "funny" sliding beep sound is the only way I can think to describe it.

I have a feeling I've got a virus or spyware thing going on. And I certainly don't know how to get rid of it. Please let me know what more information you need to be able to help me with these issues.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

Try accessing User accounts from here:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts > Advanced.

Also install an anti-virus program like ESET Smart Security or BitDefender to scan your system for viruses and remove them.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 09 December 2009 - 08:01 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 sbkoala70

sbkoala70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

But that's what I'm saying, there is no "Advanced". As soon as I get to the User Accounts window, there are no option, toolbars, menus, nothing.

#4 sbkoala70

sbkoala70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

more info....

Those little outlined boxes I mentioned, when I restarted my PC again I hovered over them and it calls them StickyKeys. I have no idea what this or means.

#5 Rhett Trappman

Rhett Trappman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

Malware may have added unwanted restrictions to your computer, please unzip the attached file and run the script (simply double-click it) as an Administrator.

After you run the script, restart your computer and try to access the Advanced Options.

When you are have your rights back, run the free scanner at: MalwareBytes.org
Run a "Full System" scan and attach the log file so that I could help you further.

#6 Rhett Trappman

Rhett Trappman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

To turn off "Sticky Keys", press the Shift key 5 times... Your computer will make a funny noise and Sticky Keys will be disabled.

To prevent Stickey Keys from coming back using the keyboard shortcuts, look in the Control Panel for Accessibility options and find the options for Stickey Keys that allows you to disable keyboard shortcuts.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

But that's what I'm saying, there is no "Advanced". As soon as I get to the User Accounts window, there are no option, toolbars, menus, nothing.

Let us know if the below link helps :

Changing User Password

If not, please post back with screenshots of the problem.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 10 December 2009 - 05:45 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 sbkoala70

sbkoala70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

What attachment? I don't see where there are attachments anywhere.

Malware may have added unwanted restrictions to your computer, please unzip the attached file and run the script (simply double-click it) as an Administrator.

After you run the script, restart your computer and try to access the Advanced Options.

When you are have your rights back, run the free scanner at: MalwareBytes.org
Run a "Full System" scan and attach the log file so that I could help you further.

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

sbkoala:
This is a semi public place. Don't run any scripts or attachments blindly. Rhett may be trying to help but without an explanation of what his "attachment" might do, you should not run it if it shows up.

Installing and running malware bytes is always good advice even as a precaution. You can always remove it later if you feel your normal antimalware/ antivirus is doing a good job.

If you have some indication of a malware infection, the moderators can move you to the am I infected forum where a trained expert can help you.

Take a look at this page and see if your taskmanager looks something like this:
http://www.winxptutor.com/taskmgr.htm
It is called tiny footprint mode and is one of the many things I have done accidentally with a optical mouse and an old digital switchbox. I have seen others set it by typing after hitting the alt or ctl key by mistake.

It is toggled by double clicking in the border around task manager and as far as I know this is not documented in the task manager help file.

Are you using classic view in folder options?
Try going to folder options -General tab see if “Show common tasks in folders” is selected then click OK This should the original left panel back on control panel and other folder views.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hello,

I am moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum from the XP forum as this issue to rule out malware causes of your issues.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 sbkoala70

sbkoala70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the help. I got the StickyKeys thing fixed, the task manager window is looking as it should now and for the most part, the PC seems to be running far better than it has in a VERY long time. That malaware thing probably did the most help as when I ran that it found a lot of trojan and worm stuff and got rid of all of it. Thanks so much.

I do have another question though that I think probably needs to go to a different place on this forum. I had assumed that I was not able to password protect my PC because of some virus or another. But I still don't seem to be able to do that. Right now, it has a password that is required and it does go to the page where it requires you to put that in but only if you let it sit for a few minutes or manually log out. However, when at the log in screen, if you simply restart the PC, it doesn't require the password. That just makes no sense to me. Why have a password on the PC if all you have to do is restart the PC to bypass that?

Since this apparently didn't seem to be related to a virus like I assumed, please let me know where I need to post this problem.

Thanks again for all the help with everything else!

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

This is just a hunch, but have a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...y.mspx?mfr=true

If that doesn't work for you, I recommend that you start out with a fresh topic in the XP forums
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users