Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible botnet?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wartortle

wartortle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hello. I have noticed that temporary internet files are being made for internet explorer despite the fact that I never use this horrible browser. It becomes apparent whenever I use CCleaner; there's always 4-6 files being cleaned out of the IE directory. I asked what may cause this on a separate forum, and the only two users who responded stated that a botnet was responsible. I don't know if they were tricking me or not, so I ran a full scan with MBAM and found nothing. However, I still have no justification for the use of internet explorer. Can anyone tell me if I may be infected with something, or what would actually be causing this? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Could you please post your Malwarebytes log? It can be found under the "Logs" tab of the program.
Computer Pro

#3 wartortle

wartortle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3330
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

12/9/2009 4:46:40 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-09 (16-46-40).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|)
Objects scanned: 143288
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 47 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I couldn't find a way to attach the file, sorry.

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

It's fine, pasting is much better to read. Is there any reason that you don't like Internet Explorer?
Computer Pro

#5 wartortle

wartortle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Well, out of the four browsers I have on my computer (along with firefox, opera, and iron) it is not only the slowest, but the most unsafe of them. ActiveX plug-ins are just... bad, in my eyes. I even downgraded to IE6 in an attempt to uninstall it a long time ago and haven't reinstalled IE7.

Not that I find it wrong if anyone else uses it! I don't mean to come off as a snob or anything.

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

It's fine you didn't come off to be a snob at all, everyone has their opinion. But I would suggest that you update to Internet Explorer 8 for security reasons. IE8 is actually the safest browser on the market, also faster. (Yes it's true).

You can download the newest version from here:

Internet Explorer 8

Let me know once you have done that.
Computer Pro

#7 wartortle

wartortle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Okay, I have installed Internet Explorer 8, as well as the updates it recommended.

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Ok, and then also I notice that your running SP2:

I see that you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The Latest Version is Service Pack 3. Running an outdated service pack exposes your computer to numerous security vulnerabilities.
To fix these security holes, please visit the Microsoft Windows Update site.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Make sure to run the updating tool until all of the updates that it says are needed are installed. This may require a reboot after a set of updates, and then visiting the site again, there may be another set. Do this until the number of updates reaches 0 under the High Priority Updates.

Running the updating tool will patch all of those security vulnerabilities and prevent possible future attacks.
Computer Pro

#9 wartortle

wartortle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

Amazing, I had no idea my computer was so prone to threats. Over 100 updates in total, plus the service pack. Thanks for your help, my friend.

#10 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

Your very welcome. Are there any other issues?
Computer Pro

#11 wartortle

wartortle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

None other than the temporary internet files accumulating without me using IE. However, I suppose it has been proven that this is not due to a virus, so thank you for all your help my friend.

#12 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

Than you should be good to go. Thank you for visiting us here at Bleeping Computer and come back if you have any other questions.

Happy Browsing!
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users