Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grnies

grnies

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

I have a new computer. Everything was fine until 5/25. On that date my ISP did maintenance on its website. also I downloaded a virus protection just for email. Of course once I had it I didnt want it, so I uninstalled it. dont remember the name of it. I use to get 15 to 20 mails a day. I like spam. I get offers and sales from websites, buy books and dvd's online. suddenly I wasnt getting any mails. called my ISP they said they weren't doing anything to stop my mail. Lowered my firewall clicked the button to allow spam, have done everything I can think of to get my mail back. also formatted the hard drive thinking I had a virus. nothing has worked. I am on a wireless network. my son has the router on his computer and I have the card on mine. asked him to lower his firewall and he did. I called my ISP again and they cant think of anything to do. I am only receiving about 8 mails a week. It doesnt make sense that I would receive any email if there were a problem my account. made up a new email account changed addresses at some websites and still have a problem. I am running winxp. can anyone think of anything that i am not doing. also I have no web mail. which makes me think its the ISP thats the problem. any help would be appreciated. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

You can certainly have some of our members SPAM if you want.

I have some questions. First, can you not access your Email account by using your browser? Have you tried accessing your web account with several browsers? Did you make any on-line changes to the way your account handled mail during the time the change happened. Are you absolutely sure you uninstalled everything you downloaded at that time from your ISP (you may have downloaded more than one application)?

The problem is definitely NOT your firewall, since you receive some messages and an incorrectly set firewall would block all of them.

With all the free Email services available, you may want to set up one more GMail accounts (do a search on the BC forums for a thread with people offering invitations for this free POP service from Google), which would not be subject to whatever is causing your current problem.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users