Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter Driver for Dell Dimensions XPS T550

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

I am looking for a network adapter driver for a Dell Dimensions XPS T550. This is a an old computer that had Windows 98 and I upgraded to W2K. The link below gives me some options for the drivers. I wasn't able to install any of the correctly by use of a floppy disk. The PC does recognize a USB flash drive, therefore I would prefer to install using this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...=W98&osl=EN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hello again cap2587.

Most Dell XPS T series had a 3com 3c90x onboard nic. The drivers on the Dell site look like they're for a "newer" T series.

The driver that should get your network card working properly again is located here.
Save this file into its own folder and double click on it. It will present you with a license agreement and a y/n prompt. Press "Y" and it will automatically open in the folder you placed the file in.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

If you have upgraded to Win 2000, shouldn't you be looking for Win 2000 drivers?
And can you please mention the model number of your network adapter?

Dell XPS T series (Win 2000):

Win2K drivers

Edited by ReviverSoft, 09 December 2009 - 07:29 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

Techextreme,

When I double click on the file it asks me to agree to license, and I did that. Then it puts a bunch of other files in the same destination, however after that I am unsure of how to get the driver installed.

ReviverSoft - Thanks for your link. I tried two network drivers 3Com 3c90x Ethernet Controller, 3Com 3C900B TPC from this link, but had no luck.

Eiter I am not downloading the driver correctly or they are not going to work on my system. What do you think? What is the best way to figure out the model number of the network adapter.

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:35 PM

Is this an onboard network card or is it a plug-in pci card?

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

It is not built into the motherboard, but an add on as a Plug in PCI card. How much do one of these go for and is it possible that the one I have is not going to work. It seems like every driver I try does not work. I did install the Dell True wireless 1150 and that at least brought up the little network screen in the bottom corner of the screen. The problem was that it said I was disconnected even when the ethernet was plugged in. I assumed that it wasn't the right driver for my card. Ideas?

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

The Dell TrueMobile Wireless 1150 is for a wireless network card.

Can you pull the network card out of the machine and post any information printed on the main chip on the card along with any info on any stickers.

My feeling is you have the CNET pro200wl card but it's also possible that card has been replaced with something else. So instead of throwing drivers at this computer like shooting in the dark let's get it the first time and make things easy for you.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Cool heads prevail. Your suggestions sound good. I will have a good look at the card tonight and let you know.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

What is the best way to figure out the model number of the network adapter.

Right-Click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manger > Network Adapter > * You should see the model number"
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for staying with me on this topic. I was able to install the driver and get the Network adapter working. The card in the computer was a Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet adapter. I couldn't have asked for better advice and response time. Cheers.

#11 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

Glad you got it working.

Techextreme

-- Seneca