Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Persistent Browser Redirect Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soj

soj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hello Experts,

After inadvertently visiting one of those villainous websites, my home PC (WinXP-Pro) became infected with System Defender. My husband and I downloaded Malwarebytes, ran and rebooted several times. All appeared well in the final scan. However, after a few Google searches the Firefox browser started defaulting to Google.de rather than Google.com. Further clicking on search links redirected to shopping sites. IE and Safari also presented the redirect issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling the browsers did not help. Naturally, we also found System Defender had been reinstalled. Eventually we found the Host file fix. We removed System Defender and replaced the Host file. All looked well again after that fix, however the redirect problems (this time in English rather than Deutsch!) have returned on all browsers. It appears System Defender is back also. Since further steps I've read about here employ the use of powerful apps, I wanted to request guidance.

Thanks in advance,

soj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hello soj, let's first clean up a bit more. Let me know if it still persists.
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Next SAS:
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Finally RootRepeal:
We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 soj

soj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Ok, thanks. Let meknow if I should post logs elsewhere pls. Here is the MBAM new scan log (nothing found):

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3335
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

12/9/2009 8:50:54 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-09 (20-50-54).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 119006
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Moving on to SAS.

soj

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Ok well I'll wait for the SAS first.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 soj

soj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

Hello again, I'm having trouble rebooting to safe mode, get an error msg stating it would be dangerous to run windows. No drivers are listed in the error msg to disable, but it mentions trying a different vid setting.

Any chance we do this without safe mode? If not, any suggestions how to get it into safe mode?

TIA! soj

Need to stop for tonight in any case - gotta be up early. I'll ck back in morning ...

Edited by soj, 09 December 2009 - 10:30 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

OK yes run from normal..
Safe mode with command prompt

Can you get in to safe mode with command prompt?
See if you can, type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in to the command prompt and press return.

#7 soj

soj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

I tried safe mode with command prompt. got the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is corrupt or missing
sys32\drivers\nvgts.sys

you can attempt to repait this file bystatrting Windows setup using the original setup cdrom
select "r" at the first screen the start repair.

not sure how to get into Windows setup, tho ...

Windows won't start at all now, just goes back to the error above

Edited by soj, 10 December 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#8 soj

soj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

Well i got into Windows setup and it returned the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. if this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. etc

Technical information stop 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Since I cannot restart windows I can't ck for viruses - already know i have one anyway.

I think I'm gonna have to take it to the shop....

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

It looks like a boot sector virus. You have 2 other options if interested. It will be a couple days but you can have our HJT team clean this.

You will need to run HJT/DDS. Do the steps you can.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.ll take a few days but yuo can go thru our HJT forum.

Or Reformat and reinstall.
In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users