Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Desktop will not startup properly

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 zig2be

zig2be

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

Something strange happened to my computer the other day. While I was using it, it started acting funny and changing screens and web pages on its own. So I immediately closed everything down and started to scan my computer with Malwarebytes. It showed that I had a few items that I had to deal with which I did and now when I restarted my computer to have the changes take effect I now have an error code.

lsass.exe Application Error
The application failed to intialize properly 0x0000005 Click on ok to terminate the application.

So when I clicked on Ok I just get a black screen with my mouse arrow and it does nothing else.

I have to shut it down manually by pressing on the power button.

I have tried turning it on and pressing F8 and trying to get on with Last known good configuration for at least 6 times and still nothing.

I have also tried F8 and disabled the automatic restart to get a BSOD and it did not do that . I just keep getting the same message.

By the way I have a Dell DIMENSION 3000
P4 2.8GHZ 533 1MG
512 MB RAM 80GB

If someone could help me with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Could you please post your Malwarebytes log for me? It can be found under the "Logs" tab.
Computer Pro

#3 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

I would love tosend you a log but I cannot get onto my desktop. it will not go any farther than the application error and I do not know what else to do

#4 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

help

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

Try to just click the X out of that box.
Computer Pro

#6 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

I have just clicked out of that and nothing but a black screen comes up with just my arrow and it stays like that. It will not do anything else.It just stays like that. Windows will not come up. Right now I am using a very ancient laptop to try and see if I can get help.

#7 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Have you tried Safe Mode?
Computer Pro

#8 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

I just turned on again and still thesame thing same application error so I xd out of that now the black screen and nothing and just the power light is on plus the fans. The operation light or the thinking light I call it , it is the one where it blinks when its processing that one is not on at all. This is so weird. I tried F8 again to start up in safemode again the same thing and also safemode with command prompt. When I went through F2 and F12 everything looked to be ok. I am no certified expert but I know enough and nothing looked out of the ordinary but even starting with using them I got the same thing NOTHING but that lsass.exe application error

#9 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

Do you have a Windows XP cd?
Computer Pro

#10 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

No When I bought the computer from Dell it came with a card saying that my new computer does not require an operating system cd or drivers cd. I am to use the restore or go to my owners manual which is all in my computer

#11 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

How old is the machine? And could you possibly borrow another CD from a friend or a coworker possibly?
Computer Pro

#12 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

I bought it in 2005. And if I borrow a friends start up disk does it matter if it is from dell or not. And tell me what I should do next because I am going to go and see if I can go borrow one now so please give me detail directions on what to next and I will be back to you soon as I get it.
Thanks

#13 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

No, it doesnt matter if it is from Dell or not. Are you using Windows XP Home or Professional?
Computer Pro

#14 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

Ok sorry it took me this long to get back to you. I have XP Home and I got recovery disk frim a friend but his disk says Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 System Recovery CD. Is this the right one. It does say on the disk to use this disk to reinstall your operating system.

Now what do I do

#15 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

Unfortunately, that will not work. It has to be another XP Home disk.
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users