Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB traveller virus: Missing volume control icon, .mp4 videos without video/with sound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ThoAppelsin

ThoAppelsin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

I am quoting from the post, I wrote on Norton Community support:

"I borrowed my friends USB memory to give him some videos about our project. Well, I was careless and opened the usb drive immediately, and there were some kind of virus in it. I usually check external drives for the virus looking like files with WinRAR, as I use it for the first time. When Norton detected the virus, it was too late.

I guess I've got cleared from the viruses; I made a Full Scan. But their affects remained. I can't make the volume control icon appear on the taskbar. I used to miss it sometimes, but just deactivating and activating the icon used to fix that issue. Now it has completely vanished... I can't even control volume from my keyboard shortcuts, which I could before.
Also I .mp4 based video files are missing their videos, although I can hear the sound of them. I checked, and found out that .avi files are OK. I don't know if other formats of videos lack video/sound, though...

I don't have any System Restore saving point after the infection occured. I tried XP Recovery without formatting my HDD. I don't have enough space to backup my files to my external drives. So, my only option is to make a proper recovery somehow..."

Additionally, I used ComboFix and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. ComboFix fixed a problem I had after the infection, I couldn't make protected system files invisible. And Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which I used according to the instructions on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irtumonde#first, found 3 Malwares. But still, I don't have a solution for the problems I have, mentioned above...

I upload ComboFix and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware logs, too. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log is not in English but you may probably find out what means what from the order.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dfiore

dfiore

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Try downloading the Free version of AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both are very good. As far as recovering your files I'd recommend Recuva. It is also free and very handy.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.