Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

A few months ago I created another partition, and today I found that there was 31MB which was not being used by any partition. I went to control panel, System and maintenance, Administrative tools, Disk management(something like that) so I could make a partition with that 31MB and then merge it with another partition.

Now youre saying " Why the hell did he want to add 31MB more space to another partition"
The answer is : I am running with a 320GB hard disk with not more than 3GB Free space :D and one of the partition is only 1GB which I use to store my web designs projects, which that partition was lacking of free space too and 31MB were good enough to save a full basic website.

While I was creating that partition, the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) appeared and when the pc booted the following message appeared :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I inserted the OS disk and clicked the repair "link". A strange thing was that there were no OS at all. I skipped that option and did a start up repair, but no luck at all, the system re started and the same error appeared.
I tried choosing System Restore but there were no restore points, Tried also System Image recovery but an error appeared saying " Windows cannot find a system image on this computer...."

Then the last option was to chose the Command Prompt, I typed "Dir C:" to check if the partition C: was there but it listed the partition which had 1GB space (E:).
It says " Volume in drive C: is Website (the name of drive E:)
Not even drive D: was there.

I could do a clean install but I dont want to loose all my data.

This was my structure of the partitions :
100GB - With the operating system - C:
219GB - Back up Files - D:
1GB - Backup - E:

Now the last option is to post a topic here about my problem.
Hope you understand my problem and thanks for reading.
Regards

EDIT : Forgot to add, The pc cant boot up.

Also, I started my pc with linux, and the partitions were not visible, only drive E: was visible.

I cant even access Safe Mode

Edited by Delta16, 09 December 2009 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Anyone please

#3 Don Carnage

Don Carnage

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

I would be very careful here , the boot sectors must have been on the small partition you removed,seeing as your online you must have access to another computer, I would remove the harddrive in question and hook it to another computer and use a partition recovery software from a bootable cd, or backup the data you dont want to loose before doing anything else, but either way let this be a lesson learned do not play around with partitions if you do not have the proper software and knowledge to recover from a situation like this :huh:

Good Luck

#4 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, I already hooked my hard drive to another pc, and it take hours to read the sectors.

Already tried to save something, and I managed to save.

Now its been for 5 hours reading (in advanced mode).

Everyone learns from his own mistakes, actually thats the most method which a person learns most from. :D

I like to experiment, and when things go wrong I always manage to make it right. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users