Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reboot windows millenium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ammar

ammar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:33 AM

can someone please help me and tell me how to reboot my computer (windows millenium) as i am having lots of problems. As i dont know much about computers i was wondering if someone could explain to me how to

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:53 AM

Hello ammar and welcome to BC.

We will need some more information about your computer. Also, when you say reboot do you mean you want to reinstall ME?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ammar

ammar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:43 PM

well i want everything to start again so its almost new with no programs. what other information do you need

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

What type of computer do you have? Is it a brand name like a Dell or Compaq? What type of CD do you have with ME on it? A Microsoft CD or a Recovery CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 ammar

ammar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

my computer is hansol and i have a microsoft cd for ME

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

OK. Put your ME CD in the drive. Press Delete to enter setup and set your CD drive as the first boot device. The computer will boot from the CD and you will reinstall Windows by following the prompts.

You will lose any information currently on the hard drive.

Do you have another CD that came with your computer that contains drivers for the motherboard? You will need that also.

#7 ammar

ammar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

when i put my ME cd in the drive a menu comes up which consists of browse cd, cd sampler, and step by step interactive. When i press delete nothing happens so i dont know where to go from there. Also by reinstalling windows will everything be wiped off my computer including all programs, because thats what i want. I did get some other CD's but i dont think that they are any use in this problem. And by the way whats the difference between a Microsoft cd and a Recovery cd

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

I was mistaken when I said you need to boot from the CD. You will need a boot disk. See Windows Me Clean Installation for instructions.

When you reinstall ME all the data on your hard drive will be removed and ME will be programmed with a fresh install. Everything on your computer will be removed. This is why you need the CD that contains the drivers for your motherboard or else you need to assemble those drivers in advance so you can install them as you might need them for things like your network card or modem, sound, etc.

whats the difference between a Microsoft cd and a Recovery cd

Some computers like Dell, HP and Compaq have what are called Recovery CD's that contain not only the operating system but also the drivers that are specific to the machine it came with. In this case the drivers are not an issue but you will need to be sure you have them in advance or you may not be able to access the internet to get them after you reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users