Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow bootup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NicR

NicR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

My system seems to have come to a point where the bootup process is becoming a headace ,waiting for the display page to load etc. Now I've been told that SP3 is the cause ,or to disable un-needed services in administrative tools/services , I have already removed all that I can from MSCONFIG/startup tab and have only 6-7 items loading at startup !
My PC is a DEll XPS400 2.8GHz Dual Core,3 GB of DDR2 RAM,250GB internial H.D. OS WindowsXP Pro SP3 MCE 2005 ! I also have a 320 GB externial HD I use to back up my internialH.D. also I have Norton 2006 Security Suite which is going to expire in about 20 days ! Not sure if Iam going to keep Norton or try a differant anti-virus app. ? To accomadate the features of th Media Center I installed a PCI TV Tuner card an ATI TV Wonder Elite and I enjoy using it to watch TV in a small screen on my desktop. Here is a copy of my boot.ini file ,hopefully this will help someone figure out my slow bootup problem ?
>>>>>>[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect <<<<<<<
Thanks in advance to All that reply and Happy Holidays
NickR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

I'm no expert but Norton is notorious for slowing down systems. Maybe it's time to switch.

#3 NicR

NicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for your input of a possible reason for my system taking so long to bootup ! This is not the first I have heard that Norton slows a PC down with to may processes running off the security suites , my subscription expries soon and I have already been told bty Norton that my version is no longer OK to simply extend my download of new virus definintions, they suggested I purchase their version of Norton Security Suite 2010. For me at this time the price for this is much to high. So I will be looking for a replacement ,I just pray uninstalling Norton from my PC does'nt rip the guts out of my O/S also , I have also read that Norton does not let go easily when trying to uninstall ? Anyone know about these free anti virus one in piticular called FreeAVG ? Again thanks for your reply Frank ,
Happy Holidays ,Nick

Edited by NicR, 10 December 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:16 AM

You should use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall anything. I use a security suite provided by my ISP so I can't comment on any of the free virus programs.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Try http://download.cnet.com/3001-2239_4-10322...art=dl-10322935, Click Here button.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users