Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dededina

Dededina

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:46 AM

Not sure how to explain this, but I sure need help. My stupid monitor, after I shut it off for awhile, seems to flicker a heck of a lot, then get super bright with no distinctive color at all for some time. Then, when it warms up, it is just fine.
Just been wondering if I need a new graphics card or if maybe the monitor is going out on me. I have a Gateway computer and an HP monitor.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Have a good one!!!!!!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hi Dededina,

It sounds like your monitor is going out. Depending on its age, it could have a cold solder joint (the connections from components to the main board) or a component(s) that is just wearing out (capacitors - resistors - electronics stuff). As your display warms up, that loose connection is made, or the value of the component going bad is compensated for, and everything is fine again. I would start looking for displays going on sale! :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search,

Rigel

PS... if you can, find a place to recycle your display. It usually costs around $5 for handling, but it saves the environment. There is usually around 8 pounds of lead shielding in every display. Thanks

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Dededina

Dededina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Darn, I was so afraid of that. Being retired and on such a super limited income, it's not gonna be easy. Thank you so very much for your help.
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:24 AM

I don't know where you live, but Tiger Direct (a reputable internet computer store) has the following available:

"Famous Brand / 17-Inch / 1024 x 768 / Beige / Off-Lease CRT Monitor
Great monitor for an amazing price! This Famous Brand 17-inch CRT monitor is attractive, reliable and affordable!
$39.99* "
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...c.asp?CatId=166

Undoubtedly there will be hundreds of other deals you can find searching the net.

#5 Dededina

Dededina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:41 AM

You know, not so sure the stupid thing is going out. We found out the plug-in does not fit properly. Had to help a friend w/his puter, when we went to unplug my stuff, the monitor cord was like hanging off a bit. After I fixed friend's puter, plugged it back in, no flickering or anything. Is it possible it needs another cord that fits right?
Again, thank you all for the wonderful help. Sure do appreciate it. You all are the bomb :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

Hi Dededina,

I suppose it's possible. The thing that concerns me is a short in either the cable or outlet. May wish to have the outlet checked. The thing that sticks out is that it gets super bright. I think that is a sign of a dying display.

With that said...

It is much much much cheaper to borrow another power cord from a friend than to buy a new display. Try that first to see what happens.

>NOTE<
The fireman in me always plays it safe. Is the cord loose or damaged? Does it get hot when your display runs?

Not meant to worry you, just to make you cautious.

Take care and good luck!

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

You know, not so sure the stupid thing is going out. We found out the plug-in does not fit properly. Had to help a friend w/his puter, when we went to unplug my stuff, the monitor cord was like hanging off a bit. After I fixed friend's puter, plugged it back in, no flickering or anything. Is it possible it needs another cord that fits right?
Again, thank you all for the wonderful help. Sure do appreciate it. You all are the bomb :thumbsup: :flowers:

Are you talking about the cord that goes from the computer to the monitor or the monitor's power cord that plugs into the electric outlet?

A loose or misfitting video cable can certainly cause all kinds of malfunctions, but the thing is the plug in should be a standard size. It should not have been able to "misfit".

If cleaning the connector on the end of the cable, plugging back into the video port on the back of the computer and tightening it with the screws that come on the cable resolves the problem - great! If it's the power cable and not the video cable, replace it as it will be cheap.

#8 Dededina

Dededina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:19 AM

You are all soooo helpful :thumbsup:
The cord doesn't get hot, but, it does not fit well in the back of the computer. I have an older Gateway and the monitor is an HP. I know someplace around here I have an adapter, and I believe that just might be what I need. If not, then I'll just shop around for another monitor.
Will let you all know, and thank you very much.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users