Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MOUSE BUTTON BEHAVIOR ET. AL.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tekktronic

tekktronic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hello all!!!

I'm running Vista SP2 on a Dell XPS 1530.. Now I get weird behavior every now and then, but i have no idea if it's viral. For instance, my mousepad buttons keep getting switched around (left mousepad button now becomes right mousepad button, so when i left-click something the right-click menu appears). Now, this does not happen at random times like I assume would happen if, say, it was a virus. It usually happens when i enter hibernate after leaving the laptop idle, or when my wife logs onto her profile, and then I log back onto mine after she logs out. Could this be a hardware/software issue, or is it some sort of virus?? Also, I get the whole "You are at risk for virus infection!! Something-or-other scan will scan your computer now. OK?" kind of alert, maybe once in a blue moon.. I never click on it (soon as that crap appears, I kill firefox with Process Explorer, then restart Firefox and delete all history, even saved forms and clear the cache), and I also have Root Repeal, which I use immediately to verify if anything gets loaded and hidden. So far, Root Repeal logs are clean (from what I can tell - no hidden modules or hidden processes, a few allocation mismatches, though, usually on c:\..\temp\sqlite-something\ or on c:\..\temp\mcafee\ - always the same items..). I can run a fresh scan if you need me to and post the results here.

I hope with your help, both issues would be resolved. I am very optimistic regarding this. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

tekktronic
-Ezra G.-
"Danger = Crisis + Opportunity" - Chinese character

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#3 tekktronic

tekktronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

I scanned my system with MBAM even BEFORE I POSTED to the forum, and it ran clean. However, I will scan again and post the log on here as soon as I can. Thanks!!

tekktronic
-Ezra G.-

#4 tekktronic

tekktronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

OK, here's the log (ran clean):

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3365
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18865

12/15/2009 12:54:41 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-15 (12-54-41).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 243662
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 45 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Sorry for the late post, I was out of town, and had just come back :-) Hope it wasn't too long a wait for you guys! :-)
Thanks!

tekktronic

P.S.: In addition, I downloaded GMER a few weeks back (thought it was a good tool to have), and I'm getting a BSOD at a certain point while running a full scan. Could be a symptom?? I've been able to successfully run a full scan using GMER before, so it might well be a symptom. Please advise. Thanks!!

Edited by tekktronic, 16 December 2009 - 12:45 AM.

-Ezra G.-

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:50 AM

Lets try SAS:

Please run ATF and SAS:

Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Note 2: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Edition

Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users