Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this some new virus or trojan?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ronijack

ronijack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

I have "disinfected" many a pc but this one has me stumped. I ran bitdefender rescue disk and no viruses were found. Its a Dell 5150. Works fine with a Knoppix disk, mouse, keyboard etc...all working. However, when the xp OS (media center edition) starts up mouse cursor appears at the user login screen but will not move! I cannot login because I cannot move the cursor. It will not start in safe mode. yes, I know how to get to safe mode but it will not load just keeps going back to the screen where I can pick safe mode, last configuration, etc. Got out my operating sytem disk and restarted. Shows windows loading but then says windows is having problems communicating with a needed component and gives an error message.
Anyway, I cannot load normally, cannot load in safe mode and cannot reinstall the OS because it just won't load the installation program. As I said, I am able to load other disks that do not use windows such as bitdefender and some other crappy pc beginner disc. I was able to run a memtest and everything checks out.
what I have concluded is that something that loads during windows startup and which also runs when loading the installation disk must be the culprit. I am certain this is not a hardware problem. I don't know how to get into the system because obviously I cannot use dos. I cannot even run chkdsk. Cannot get to a command prompt. Is there anyway to load a mouse driver to windows without actually being in windows, such as through knoppix?
Hope someone knows.
Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ronijack

ronijack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

More info ... I had 342 infected files prior to running the bit defender rescue disk. I elected to delete the infected files because they could not be moved any other way. After doing this XP will still not start. So, I ran bit defender again but found no infected files I have to conclude that virus was attached to needed system files that got deleted. I have been able to do additional troubleshooting. Using a Ubuntu Live Cd I was able to see all the files on the Windows hard drive. The documents and settings, windows, etc. If Ubuntu can see the files, then there cannot be problems with the drive connections.

When I went into the BIOS, clicking on drives showed the hard drive as "unknown drive". So, I used WinMe boot cd with an updated BIOS copied to it. I was able to sucessfully update the BIOS and was hoping that this would solve the problem of the drive not being recognized. Unfortunately, it did not. When I boot the PC normally it tells me "Drive one not present, press F1 to continue". It goes on to attempt to load Windows, brings me to the logon screen but I cannot go on from there. I can see there is no power to the mouse and can't select a user to log on so I have to do a hard shut down. When I press f12 and select "Boot to Utility Partition" it tells me utility partition is not available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users