Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Question. 2 AV's not using both.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snake42490

Snake42490

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Ok so at my university I am required to use Norton Symantic Endpoint protection. I have never enjoyed norton and found it to not find a lot of stuff that other av's are finding. to use the net we use Cisco Clean access agent which "checks" your system to make sure that you are running Norton and that it is up to date before it will let you use it. I have always used nod32 smart security and love it. Could I completely disable norton and run Eset Smart Security as my main software, but keep Norton running in the background but completely disabled?

If you think this is a bad idea what standalone Firewall should i use that does not come with an anti virus etc.

Edited by Snake42490, 08 December 2009 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

keep Norton running in the background but completely disabled?

Not possible. It's either one or the other and you do not want 2 at once
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

at my university I am required to use Norton Symantic Endpoint protection... Could I completely disable norton and run Eset Smart Security

If this is a school computer, the IT Department may have policies/restrictions in place that prohibit programs placed on their equipment. In most school environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use school resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. If its not a school computer, they still may have restrictions on equipment used on their network. If you have an issue, then you need to resolve it with the IT staff or school administrators. We will not assist anyone with attempts to bypass those policies or security measures

If this is a personal computer approved for use on a school network after meeting specific requirements, we still will not assist with attempts to bypass school policies or security measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Snake42490

Snake42490
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

It wasn't based on wanting to bypass anything. It was just not wanting to use the software they make us use. I talked to them and they just said to put a firewall on and pretty much suck it up and use endpoint hahaha. I took eset off and Bought Zonealarm pro along with symantic endpoint. All is good. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users