Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't boot up regularly or in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bodit9

bodit9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

OK, so here's what happened to my boss's computer.

It's a SONY Vaio, Model: PCG-6D1L, Windows XP Home Edition (I think upgraded to SP3), unsure of hard drive or memory. It's an older computer, probably 5-7 years old. It recently contracted the Privacy Center virus where it disables programs and does a fake scan and locks everything up until you purchase it. It disabled safe mode and system restore. I was able to delete some of it and get the computer semi-working again by immediately pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete as soon as Windows started and then stopping the processes that started booting that weren't familiar. Then I was able to go to Add/Remove Programs and delete Privacy Center. After that, I was able to boot in Windows normally and only popups would show up when connected to the internet. When not connected, it pretty much worked normally. System restore was still disabled and I had not been able to fully research how to fix it yet. Also, when I tried to boot in any version of safe mode, a list of drivers starts being listed, then a blue screen would flash, and it would start to reboot. I told my boss to backup everything and don't touch it and give it to me at a later time to work on it more. So of course, he starts researching it himself without backing everything up and opens the msconfig (system configuration utility) and selects the "/SAFEBOOT" option. After restarting, it now goes to the OS Choices Menu. When selecting Start Windows Normally or Last Known Good Configuration, a blue screen flashes and then reboots. When safe mode of any variety is selected, it against starts listing what looks like drivers, then blue screen flash, then reboot. I went to the F8 screen and hit Disable automatic restart on system failure, then select XP Home Edition and here is the blue screen message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF8A19528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I think the OS was preloaded when he bought it. I'm not sure if he as a Windows XP CD that came with it or not. I will ask him tomorrow. I have a Windows XP Professional Edition for multiple licenses CD (don't think it has any of the SP updates). Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

I did a quick search about your stop error and here is what I found.

Boot-Sector Viruses
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message if your computer is infected with a boot-sector virus. If the problem is intermittent and you can start Windows, check your computer for viruses. If you find a virus, also check any floppy disks for viruses before you use them again.

taken from here

I suggest you go to Am I infected? What do I do? forum. They would most probably be able to guide you best.

~powerjuce

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Scroll down to the section: Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users