Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware or OS dying?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greyDrifter

greyDrifter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

So what am I looking at hardware failure or a cobbled OS. Scan disk reported no problems (though I still need to locate the log file). That the computer failed to boot indicating hardware. But many of the OS's functions event logs through device manage are crippled. The dvd drive is still live (but all other methods of getting a portable or recovery tool in don't look good.)

What do you suggest? / Thoughts?

Thank You

Windows Vista Home SP2
1.6 GHz 2Gb mem 32x

A collection of Error messages
Failure to boot
Power on
dvd drive accessed (checked for media)
couple pulses on hdd light but nothing

Booted after sitting for an hour (temperature might be an issue in that the computer was in a backpack in a vechile in 30 degree weather for 10 hours)

Monitor resolution is 800 x 600, default monitor / pnp

WiFiMsg.exe - Bad Image
X C:\windows\system32\eappprxy.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
> Ok

The last backup failed

Microsoft Windows
InstallShield Update Service Update Manager has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Please Close the program.
> Close option Program

Microsoft Windows
Module to process WiFi messages. has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Please close the program.
> Close the program

Control > Administrative Tools
- the following three do not show icons
| Computer Management
| Services
| Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

C:\Windows\System32\eventvwr.msc
C:\Windows\System32\eventvwr.msc is not a valid Win32 application.
> Ok

Control > System > Device Manager
C:\Windows\System32\devmgmt.msc
This file dows not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel.
> Ok

Windows Network Diagnostics
There might be a problem with one or more network adapter on this computer
> The network adapter "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller" is experiencing driver or hardware related issues
> Click here for information

Start > shutdown

Windows - Bad Image
x Exception Processing Message 0x0c000007b Parameters
0x754B91B0 0x754B91B0 0x754B91B0 0x754B91B0 (yes all 4 are the same)

USB port ... isn't recognized.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

hard to say. first impulse would be hardware issues primarily with the motherboard, but I would recomend reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS and all drivers first. its cheaper, and if thats the problem then it should be solved after that. If it isnt the problem you havent lost anything other then time. just make sure you back up all your files first.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 greyDrifter

greyDrifter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

Thank you for the response; though thats what I've been afraid of. I intend to slave the drive and image or extract when I return home. Still hoping that its as simple as a cobbled drive. (Looking at replacement parts and their corresponding prices isn't too pleasant.)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:04 AM

well like I said, try reformatting the drive first. with that many problems, it could just be a virus screwed up your OS. Ive seen that before to.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 greyDrifter

greyDrifter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

Scanned with eset no virus detected (just about everything but the dvd drive and keyboard was out for input)
Macrium Reflect created a image. (Nice program, it did what I wanted it to do.)
Managed to reformat and reinstall the os. (No problems yet.)

What are the peek (and safe) operating temperatures of hard disk and processors?
The hard disk is running at a peek of 145 deg f (tested via ir) under load.
Also system lists a processor temperature of about 185 deg. f (at 70% utilization)

almost boil water... a quick search indicates it might be safe
in alternate hardware the same drive runs at 80 deg f

Too much flack in the search:
hp pavilion dv2310us hard disk/drive controller temperature
not sure how to revise it or to locate information specific to model.

I've never seen a computer run this hot in my personal experience,
it brings meaning to news stories such as batteries catching fire.
Heat affects magnetism, could this be part of the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users