Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

machine_check_exception blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

This is what it says: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

blah blah blah... (it didn't seem very important, just things like safe mode, update drivers.)

Technical Information

***STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80547FF0, 0xB200000, 0x00070F0F)

This is happening on my Compaq Presario SR1950NX
I switched the ram cards to see if it made a difference, and the computer got to boot up. However, after I restarted the computer, the blue screen of death re-appeared. I do remember that when I tried installing windows to the new hard drive, I did get the blue screen of death after installing windows the first time. What I did was I reinstalled windows, and the computer had days without having that blue screen of death until now. Now what the heck is going on? The only thing I did to this computer is switch out the older hard drive for the new one..

I also noticed that when I have days without turning on the pc, windows would boot up fine. However, if I restart, the machine check exception bsod reappears. After that one time boot, the bsod just keeps on repeating itself. Could it be heat related? mobo failure? What's funny is that I can still get into the bios.

Please help...

Edited by djvic87, 08 December 2009 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

I would add that failing CMOS batteries should also be added to the list of suspects...IME, a weakening/dead battery will make the system behave in unpredictable ways. Since it's a cheap, quick thing to check/replace...I would replace it before I even thought about trying to troubleshoot all the other system component.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users