Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive space

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thesand4

thesand4

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Ok, I had a 1 terabyte hard drive from Seagate and it was BAD. I sent it back and I got a replacement since they wouldn't give me MONEY back with which I might buy a GOOD hard drive from someone else.

Not wanting to have my remaining data put onto another defective hard drive, I did of course a FULL format and then windows error check.

And what does it say?

Capacity: 1,000,202,240,000
Free Space: 1,000,104,140,800
Used Space: 98,099,200

That's right, 98 million bytes, 93.5 megabytes have been "used" even though there are NO files there. Is that because of lots of bad sectors it found? If those sleazeballs just sent me another failing hard drive that should have been new and flawless, after what they put me through already, man I'm going to be so pissed.

So what is it? Is that a windows thing I don't know about? Or is the BAD space on a hard drive actually reported as USED space? How do I get it to tell me the amount of space in bad sectors? I remember back in the good old days when programs were written well since they couldn't afford to waste memory and space, that after formatting a disk, it would tell me "X bytes in good sectors, Y bytes in bad sectors", but it told me nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi.

I have to say that Seagate is as good as any other manufacturer and you will have failures with any make. IMHO, Terabyte + sized drives are simply too big to risk losing that much data and, personally I prefer to have 2x500 or 3x320 GB drives to spread data around. It is a simple fact of life that any hard drive can fail at the most awkward time so it pays to BACKUP to another drive regularly.

I'm not sure where your 93.5MB is being used, but you have to remember that a manufacturer will sell you a drive based on 1000KB per MB, while Windows will format at 1024KB per MB so the ratio is always 1000 / 1024 = 0.9765625. Neither is ripping you off - that is just the way things are.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 09 December 2009 - 12:40 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 thesand4

thesand4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

Of the 3 things you discussed in your message, zero of them related to my question. I'm asking about the 93.5 megabytes of USED space even though there is NOTHING on the drive at all. It is EMPTY. COMPLETELY empty. Not even system volume information or a "recycled" system directory (since I have "display system directories" enabled under folder options, I know they're not there - they don't appear until the first thing is put on the hard drive).

So let me try to be very clear about what I want here. I want to know TWO THINGS. DOES the computer display BAD SECTORS as USED SPACE? YES OR NO. And... IS THERE any way to get Windows XP to tell me how much space is in BAD SECTORS, not just the space on the disk.

Now I feel I should write you back about the 3 things. The entire reason I'm here on the forum is because every time I googled what I WANTED to know, I got a page where some idiot who probably didn't know the powers of 2 up to 256 was asking the question YOU just answered. There are thousands of these pages already. THOUSANDS. And they all came up when I asked Google the question I asked on this forum, in every way I could think of asking it. And you just answered that question all those other people asked but I didn't. I know the first 50 digits of pi, all the chemical elements that have been discovered/created, and yes, I have the powers of 2 memorized up to 2^32=4294967296. I am well aware of the scam the hard drive manufacturers all run, selling a 111 gig drive and lying about it and saying it is 120 for instance. That's not what I'm talking about AT ALL. Regarding the other things you said, FINE, then I could get another hard drive, but why make it a bunch of little bitty ones? Wait 5 years and get a 10 terabyte drive. Or 10 years and get a 50 terabyte drive. And what will everyone think of you and your THREE 320 gigabyte drives then, hmmm? About the same as you would think of someone for 15 years ago having said that a 2 gigabyte drive is just too darn big, and that you should just FILL up your computer with 500, nay ONE hundred megabyte drives. You would call that person a very silly person, wouldn't you? And Seagate? I beg to differ. Samsung rules, Seagate drools! I should have realized that a year ago. It's like comparing a chevy to a honda, that's exactly what it is. You know which one is going to be running 10 years from now. The only reason America has 3 times the gross domestic product of Japan is because their stuff breaks 3 times faster and has to be replaced 3 times as often.

Edited by thesand4, 08 December 2009 - 11:46 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:51 PM

.............words.............................

About halfway through that my mind drifted back to "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" episode of Southpark.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

:thumbsup: Posted Imagethesand4 You would be one of the most unfriendly Members,seeking advice,on Bleeping,in a long time.

Rowal5555, was teaching you about Hard Drives,and your reply bordered on rude.

The advice is free.

Listen up,you may learn something. :flowers:

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

Along with what Rowal5555 said, it's also an OS thing you don't know about. If the drive is formatted then it's not empty. The format is, in and of itself, information(overhead) and therefore takes up space.

See if this program can shed a little light on the used space for you.

WinDirStat: http://windirstat.info/

#7 thesand4

thesand4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

Oh, I'm normally plenty friendly. There are in fact only 2 things in this world I know of that are capable of offending me. Religious freaks telling me I'm going to their imaginary place for not believing in their imaginary friend, and people ignoring things I say and assuming I said something much stupider instead. If you hit one of those two buttons, I'll turn into a very UNfriendly person. dpunisher also touched that button. I didn't lie about anything like the John Edward in that episode holding like a bulldog to the claim he could talk to dead people. I got pissed at someone else for twisting what I said. There's no comparison. But whatever. I borrowed a 1 terabyte drive from a friend to store my data on while I waited for the exchange. (I'm also under pressure to give it back). When it was formatted and empty before I copied my stuff onto it, it was just a few kilobytes. So it's not an OS thing. You're right, like you said, the advice is free. Worth every penny I'm sure. Don't you worry, I won't be coming back. It was a swing and a miss the other time too.

Edited by thesand4, 09 December 2009 - 10:21 AM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

dpunisher also touched that button.

......or squeezed the bottle. I do what I can.

Don't you worry, I won't be coming back.

We will miss your posts. It's not often we have quality posts from people that have memorized pi to the 50th digit. In fact, I still don't know of any quality posts in this forum from people who have memorized pi to the 50th digit. Frankly, I get lost after 3.14159265359.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users