Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Modem Old Router

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby31

Bobby31

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I had to get a new modem from my cable company as my old one was going to become outdated in a week. I had used a netgear router with my old modem with no problems at all. Today I got my new moedm, and got everything configured to work, the internet ran fine when connected from modem to computer via the ethernet wire. When I connected it to the router however, it is finding the router but picking up as local only, no internet connection. My question is what do I need to do to reconfigure it back to working as it did before the new modem switch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Try rebooting both devices (modem and router)...just remove the power from each for about 5 seconds and then reconnect. Then give each device time to reset (a minute or two).

Then check your Internet Connections in XP and see what is reflected.

Louis

#3 Bobby31

Bobby31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

Tried that, but the same thing, my router is being picked up, on both my laptop computers, but it showing local access only. When I take the ethernet from the router to the computer, everything works fine. So can't figure out why the router will not allow internet access.

Edited by Bobby31, 08 December 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:52 PM

Is it possible that your router connection to your old modem was configured for "Static IP" and not "DHCP"?

Is it also possible that your new modem and setup now requires a static ip address to be input into your router instead of being DHCP?

Can you tell us your ISP ( Comcast, Roadrunner, etc...)
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Bobby31

Bobby31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

My isp is comcast. Let me also add that the ethernet from the router to the computer also gives me the local only message, and the only way I can connect is directly from the modem to the computer via that ethernet.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

Ok. 99% of Comcast setups for the home are DHCP. So, in your router, set it to automatically obtion ip address and save the settings.

What router do you have and what modem did they give you to replace your older modem?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 Bobby31

Bobby31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

Ok, you are going to have to tell me how to do that with my router. I am not afraid to admit I am slightly computer stupid. LOL The new modem I have is a motorola sb5101 and my router is a netgear wgt624 v3

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Click Here. This is the reference manual for your router. You want to go to page 3-3 called "Logging into your router".

This will get you into your router.

Once you get into your router, you want to go to page 3-6 and pay close attention to "Basic Settings, No Login".

This is what you should need to get connected to your modem.

The SB5101 Motorola Surfboard Modem in my opinion has the best reputation working with Comcast's system. I have 3 of these with no problems.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#9 Bobby31

Bobby31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

ok as far as I can tell everything seems to be correct in the settings yet it still only picks up as local only from the router. Is it possible comcast needs to do something on their side to allow it to work through a router?

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

As long as your router is setup properly, you should not have comcast do anything on their end.

I would once again, unplug both the modem and router. Leave both unplugged for at least one minute. Plug the modem back in and wait till all lights light. The activity light won't be blinking.

Once everything is solid, then power up the router. Give the router at least 30 seconds to pickup an address from the modem.

If you still cannot connect to the internet through the router after doing this, you may want to consider updating the firmware in the router.

Your firmware can be found here.

Follow the instructions on the page and you will have your router up to date.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 Bobby31

Bobby31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hey tech,

Just wanted to let you know everything is back up and working fine. I just did as you said about unplugging, waiting, and then plugging in at different intervals and it worked fine. I think the problem I may have had was that I was plugging the router in at the same time as the modem, so was not giving it enough time. Just wanted to say thanks though for your help.

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

No problem... Glad to help.

:thumbsup:
Techextreme