Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I start my computer, a list of 'my documents' comes up & there's no bottom bar, icons, or a desktop background?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PufferFish

PufferFish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

On Sunday, I turned on my computer and, after logging in, a full-page list of my documents came up for some reason. I minused the page and found that my desktop looked like this- http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1372/screenshotkp.jpg
I tried to do three system restores and have tried doing a Startup Repair twice. I've also tried starting in safe mode and nothing seems to help. I haven't installed any new programs recently and I have no idea what could have triggered this. Please help!

Edited by PufferFish, 08 December 2009 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

hello

so if you start your computer it comes up to the screen @ image shack? if yes try pressing the windows key and the D key. anything happen?

windows key + R = run.......- in run box type cmd prmp to run command prompt (if that helps)
windows key + E = computer
" " + F = search box

just some info that may help gain control

good luck

Edited by keny111111, 08 December 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

If you press Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up the task manager, look for the process "explorer.exe". ( minus the quotes of course ).

If it does not exist, click on File, New Task (Run).

In the box type "explorer.exe" ( once again without the quotes ) and hit enter. See if your desktop shows up.

Let us know,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 PufferFish

PufferFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

If you press Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up the task manager, look for the process "explorer.exe". ( minus the quotes of course ).

If it does not exist, click on File, New Task (Run).

In the box type "explorer.exe" ( once again without the quotes ) and hit enter. See if your desktop shows up.

Let us know,

I had a problem similar to this before and did this and it worked, but this time when I press ctrl-alt-del task manager isn't an option. :/

#5 PufferFish

PufferFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

hello

so if you start your computer it comes up to the screen @ image shack? if yes try pressing the windows key and the D key. anything happen?

windows key + R = run.......- in run box type cmd prmp to run command prompt (if that helps)
windows key + E = computer
" " + F = search box

just some info that may help gain control

good luck

I tried these but none of them did anything. But thanks anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users