Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a replacement graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hello, I have suddenly started having major problems with my PC since I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU and liquid-cooled heatsink for my GPU.

I'm not quite sure what I have managed to do, but my guess is that the graphics card is screwed. My motherboard does not have on-board graphics to test this theory. When I booted up having removed all the old paste, replacing it with much better stuff, it loaded up Windows 7 like normal. When the desktop loaded, it was all fractured (parts of the desktop appear fine and others completely messed up/randomly). I restarted the computer, because on top of this, the computer froze up, This happened a few times, before finally I restarted again and the computer booted-up, got to the loading Windows screen and after that, made all the usual sounds (internal) that would suggest it was still loading up into Windows, but my monitor displayed nothing but a blank screen.

Any thoughts? If it is the graphics card, can anyone suggest what I can replace the BFG 8800GTX OC2 768MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out HDCP enabled PCI-E Graphics Card with, running on a Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU (ATX12V v2.2 APFC)?

Thank you so much for your consideration!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

You have already tried...simply reseating the graphics card?

Louis

#3 Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

You have already tried...simply reseating the graphics card?

Louis

Hello Louis,

thank you for the suggestion, but yes I have already tried that several times, as well as reseating the RAM.

#4 Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

Whilst you were all frantically replying, I took the computer apart and carefully bled the liquid cooling system. I then took apart the GPU from the water cooling block and did the same for the CPU, applying an ven thinner layer than before of thermal paste to the two. I then put it all back together, after discovering a load of strange bits being carried around in the liquid of the liquid cooling system and disposing of them.

I have the system up and running, currently playing a film in loop and plan on keeping it going for around 24 hours to see how the system copes.

I should be back to report back the results, thank you all for your support thus far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users