Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 suddenly giving me all sorts of dysfunctional problems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

I just spent the last 4 days reformatting my previously-XP computer, installing Windows 7, and setting up all my programs just the way I like them, installing new drivers for the move to Win7, dealing with new problems of moving onto Win7, and so forth. The OS acted like an angel for the first 2-3 days, and now, suddenly, it's acting like a moron.

The '3 Stooges' of problems I'm experiencing very often while it's running is that it often likes to go slow/freeze/(Not Responding)/white window, or give me a totally black screen with just the mouse pointer, or it shows me nothing but the desktop background and the mouse pointer.

As for rebooting issues, I've seen it reboot my computer on its own before, as well as being unable to boot all the way to the OS.

Last night I did a fresh Win7 "Upgrade" Repair Install, though it didn't fix these issues.

I have no idea why it acted so nice the first 2 days, not to mention those were the most intensive days, when I pushed it to its limits installing programs and drivers. Now that I've finally settled in and began my more casual work, it's acting like it has no power whatsoever. This is not the best time to act this way, after all the time and effort I put into installing and setting up everything I use. How can I whip it into shape and move on with my life, withOUT going back to XP? (as I read online that you must reformat to go from Win7 to XP, which would undo 3 days of effort)

Edit: I forgot to say, I'm also always so unwilling to force a restart using the button on the tower.. I feel like the fresh reformat and Win7 Install I did 4 days ago should have alleviated me of such means. But then I'm often stuck sitting in front of a very slow and nonresponsive system, to the point that I feel it's necessary to force a restart. Explorer.exe also often isn't responding. I heard it's unsafe to End it though.

Edited by andrewset, 08 December 2009 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

Sounds like it might be one of your drivers not working correctly. Did you download the Windows 7 drivers for your devices?

Also, I've experienced a problem with explorer.exe crashing a lot and it was due to my privacy settings in Firefox. Do you have Firefox installed?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Yes, it looks like all my correct drivers are in place.

Yes, I use Firefox as my main browser. What Privacy Settings should I try?:huh:

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

Well there is a bug if you have your privacy settings to "Never remember my history" so I just now have to allow Firefox to remember it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273201/windows-explorer-constantly-crashing/

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

Aw, drat, mine was already set to the default, "Remember my history." Thanks anyhow:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users